Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

UBC researchers find 'weak spot' in COVID-19 virus

UBC researchers find 'weak spot' in COVID-19 virus
Researchers say exploiting that weakness could pave the way for new treatments that would be effective against all strains of the illness that has killed almost 6.5-million people across the globe since it was identified more than two years ago.

UBC researchers find 'weak spot' in COVID-19 virus

Three suspects arrested due to bear spray incident in New Westminster

Three suspects arrested due to bear spray incident in New Westminster
Police officers attended Moody Park and found three individuals matching the suspect descriptions who were arrested. A replica handgun and two cans of bear repellent spray were recovered from the individuals.

Three suspects arrested due to bear spray incident in New Westminster

Surrey Police Officer arrested by the Surrey RCMP

Surrey Police Officer arrested by the Surrey RCMP
The officer was hired by SPS in May 2022, with just over one year of previous policing experience. On Thursday, August 17th,  SPS Chief Constable Norm Lipinski suspended this officer with pay, pending the outcome of the criminal investigation, which is being handled by the Surrey RCMP.

Surrey Police Officer arrested by the Surrey RCMP

Pedestrian hit by a vehicle lands in hospital

Pedestrian hit by a vehicle lands in hospital
A pedestrian who stepped off the curb, outside of a marked crosswalk, to cross the street was struck by a vehicle heading west bound on 72 Avenue. The pedestrian was transported to local area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Pedestrian hit by a vehicle lands in hospital

All evacuation orders rescinded near B.C. wildfire

All evacuation orders rescinded near B.C. wildfire
The blaze is one of five classified as "wildfires of note" by the BC Wildfire Service and has charred more than 69 square kilometres. Hugh Murdoch, incident commander for the wildfire service, says that though the fire will continue to burn, it poses no current threat to homes and he is "very comfortable" with the crews and resources that are in place.

All evacuation orders rescinded near B.C. wildfire

New passport service sites open amid backlog

New passport service sites open amid backlog
Urgent services for people who can prove they need a passport within 48 hours are only available in bigger urban centres — Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Gatineau, Que.

New passport service sites open amid backlog