Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Identity fraud results in $5K purchase and an arrest in Surrey: Port Moody Police

Identity fraud results in $5K purchase and an arrest in Surrey: Port Moody Police
In June of  2022, a victim of identity fraud contacted Port Moody Police after discovering a credit card was opened in their name and a $5000 purchase had been made on said credit card. The investigator was able to trace the fraudulent transaction and identify suspect.  This lead the investigation to multiple properties in Surrey including a secure storage facility.

Identity fraud results in $5K purchase and an arrest in Surrey: Port Moody Police

Vancouver zoo's missing wolf Tempest found safe

Vancouver zoo's missing wolf Tempest found safe
The Greater Vancouver Zoo says in a statement the discovery of the one-year-old female canine known as Tempest puts an end to a three-day search and rescue operation.

Vancouver zoo's missing wolf Tempest found safe

Suspects use chop saws to cut open ATM and steal cash in Mission

Suspects use chop saws to cut open ATM and steal cash in Mission
On Thursday in the early morning hours of 3am, three suspects entered the Coop Gas Bar located 34900 block of Lougheed Hwy. The suspects used two chop saws to cut open the ATM and steal and undisclosed amount of cash.

Suspects use chop saws to cut open ATM and steal cash in Mission

Coquitlam RCMP appeal to public for video or witnesses to shooting

Coquitlam RCMP appeal to public for video or witnesses to shooting
No one was injured as a result of this shooting, but police are looking for more witnesses and, in particular, anyone who might have dashcam or surveillance video of any vehicles or people in the area at the time.

Coquitlam RCMP appeal to public for video or witnesses to shooting

Richmond RCMP investigating shots fired

Richmond RCMP investigating shots fired
Mounties believe that it was a targeted shooting. A dark coloured pickup truck was observed fleeing the scene and investigators have located an abandoned vehicle suspected of being involved in the incident in Surrey.

Richmond RCMP investigating shots fired

Overnight stabbing in Surrey leaves man dead: IHIT

Overnight stabbing in Surrey leaves man dead: IHIT
Frontline officers arrived on scene and located a 45-year-old man suffering from serious injuries. The man was transported to hospital where he later died of his injuries.

Overnight stabbing in Surrey leaves man dead: IHIT