Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Langley man charged in the March 2022 murder of Nicholas Ball

Langley man charged in the March 2022 murder of Nicholas Ball
Langley RCMP front line officers attended and located a 29-year-old deceased man, later identified as Nicholas Ball, of Langley.  On Tuesday, August 23rd, 40-year old Jason Griffiths of Langley was arrested in connection to the murder of Nicholas Ball. 

Langley man charged in the March 2022 murder of Nicholas Ball

Ottawa underestimated pent-up travel demand: MP

Ottawa underestimated pent-up travel demand: MP
Airlines and airports have been grappling with a surge in customers this summer, compounded by staffing shortages affecting both carriers and federal agencies. As a result, travellers have experienced widespread flight cancellations, baggage delays and lengthy lineups, particularly at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

Ottawa underestimated pent-up travel demand: MP

B.C. union says talks with government are back on

B.C. union says talks with government are back on
British Columbia's largest public-sector union says it has accepted the government's invitation to resume talks following limited job action that began over a week ago. The B.C. General Employees' Union says it is expecting to return to the bargaining table "soon" as part of its negotiations with the Public Service Agency.

B.C. union says talks with government are back on

Charges laid in South Surrey double homicide

Charges laid in South Surrey double homicide
25-year old Surrey resident Bryce Dallas Campbell was arrested in relation to the homicides. On Monday, two charges of second degree murder and one charge of attempted murder were laid against Campbell, who remained in custody following his arrest on August 5.

Charges laid in South Surrey double homicide

IHIT investigating deadly stabbing in Mission

IHIT investigating deadly stabbing in Mission
At this time, investigators believe this to be an isolated incident with no connection to the Lower Mainland Gang Conflict. The victim has been identified, though his name is not being released at this time, to allow time for proper notification of the family.

IHIT investigating deadly stabbing in Mission

Assault lands Surrey man in hospital, suspects described as South Asian males

Assault lands Surrey man in hospital, suspects described as South Asian males
Police were called to a residence in the 9000 block of 128 Street. Police located a man suffering serious injuries lying in the driveway of the residence.The suspects, described as three South Asian males, fled the area in a vehicle, believed to be a silver 4-door SUV.  

Assault lands Surrey man in hospital, suspects described as South Asian males