Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

7 stolen Lexus loaded into two shipping containers inside a Surrey salvage yard, 3 youths plead guilty

7 stolen Lexus loaded into two shipping containers inside a Surrey salvage yard, 3 youths plead guilty
19 year old Mohammed Bouterra, 22 year old Al Rifai, and 21 year old Yahya Zitouni pleaded guilty to theft of motor vehicles, possession of stolen property for the purpose of trafficking and use of computer system with intent to commit an offence. 

7 stolen Lexus loaded into two shipping containers inside a Surrey salvage yard, 3 youths plead guilty

B.C. family doctors get $118M lifeline

B.C. family doctors get $118M lifeline
British Columbia is experiencing a crisis in access to health care and nearly one million residents do not have a family doctor. The total $118 million in funding is available to about 3,480 family doctors who have their own practices and 1,100 working in walk-in clinics.

B.C. family doctors get $118M lifeline

Witnesses asked to come forward following robbery with weapon at grocery store

Witnesses asked to come forward following robbery with weapon at grocery store
New Westminster Police Department rushed to the scene and located someone matching the suspect description a few blocks away. At the time of the arrest, officers located a knife nearby. Since his arrest, 31 year old Christopher Agostino of Surrey has been charged with two counts of robbery. 

Witnesses asked to come forward following robbery with weapon at grocery store

Humanitarian crises worsen immigration backlog

Humanitarian crises worsen immigration backlog
As of the end of July, approximately 1.3 million immigration applications in the system have taken longer to process than the government's service standards dictate they should. That's about 54 per cent of all the pending applications in the system.   

Humanitarian crises worsen immigration backlog

40 from camp accept accommodation: BC Housing

40 from camp accept accommodation: BC Housing
City manager Paul Mochrie says workers are removing two tonnes of material per day from the encampment on East Hastings Street. Mochrie says it's difficult to provide a precise number of tents and structures that have been removed, but seven out of 10 zones deemed the highest risk have been cleared.

40 from camp accept accommodation: BC Housing

Victim identified as a 26 year old man in Mission homicide, arrests made

Victim identified as a 26 year old man in Mission homicide, arrests made
On Tuesday, August 23rd, two other men were arrested in relation to the homicide. At this time, no charges have been laid. A residence in Mission is currently being held, pending a search warrant.

Victim identified as a 26 year old man in Mission homicide, arrests made