Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Housing with OD services to be offered in Nanaimo

Housing with OD services to be offered in Nanaimo
Mental Health and Addictions Minister Sheila Malcolmson has announced the project in the Vancouver Island community alongside Mayor Leonard Krog, and she says in a release that the aim is to provide services in existing supportive housing.

Housing with OD services to be offered in Nanaimo

Man charged over multiple attacks in Vancouver

Man charged over multiple attacks in Vancouver
They include a 70-year-old man who police say was tackled to the ground, a 33-year-old woman who was punched in the face and a 23-year-old woman police say had been stabbed.  

Man charged over multiple attacks in Vancouver

Two B.C. blazes to lose 'wildfire of note' status

Two B.C. blazes to lose 'wildfire of note' status
The downgrading of the fires comes as Environment Canada issues heat warnings for Whistler, Squamish, Sunshine Coast, East Vancouver Island and Inland Vancouver Island.

Two B.C. blazes to lose 'wildfire of note' status

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey
The police found the 47-year-old man having sustained life-threatening injuries. First responders performed emergency first aid, but the victim did not survive.  IHIT has now taken over the investigation. 

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey
The Canadian Medical Association's national physician health survey, released Thursday, indicates that 53 per cent of respondents reported symptoms of burnout, including emotional exhaustion. The reported burnout rate among doctors was 1.7 times higher than it was in the association's previous survey in 2017.

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he is going to build a 60,000 person stadium

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he is going to build a 60,000 person stadium
Apart from this, the mayor announced at the groundbreaking ceremony that he will be building the largest stadium in Canada. "Part of our commitments is that we're going to say as part of our SSC is we are going to build a 60,000 person arena in Surrey“. 

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he is going to build a 60,000 person stadium