Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Cruise ship stuck in B.C. over tugboat strike

Cruise ship stuck in B.C. over tugboat strike
Celebrity Cruises says the Celebrity Eclipse, which had been due to depart Sunday afternoon, is unable to leave the Port of Vancouver without the tugs and staff are "working diligently" with local authorities to resolve the situation so the ship can sail.

Cruise ship stuck in B.C. over tugboat strike

Hiring spree helping with backlogs: ministers

Hiring spree helping with backlogs: ministers
Yet while cabinet ministers say the additional hires have started to make a difference, they acknowledge that far more work is needed when it comes to providing Canadians with the services they deserve. The comments came during an update on the work of the government's special task force to help tackle major delays with immigration applications and passport processing.

Hiring spree helping with backlogs: ministers

Vehicle ignites into flames on Highway 17, Highway 17 WestBound closure in effect

Vehicle ignites into flames on Highway 17, Highway 17 WestBound closure in effect
A semi truck was travelling westbound on Highway 17 when the driver smelled smoke.  After the driver pulled over, the vehicle ignited into flames.  The subsequent fire resulted in the vehicle sustaining major damage.

Vehicle ignites into flames on Highway 17, Highway 17 WestBound closure in effect

Pedestrian in hospital after a serious collision in Newton on Sunday

Pedestrian in hospital after a serious collision in Newton on Sunday
On August 28th, just before 7:30 p.m., Surrey RCMP received a reported that a pedestrian, who had been crossing the street in a marked crosswalk, had been struck by a vehicle in the 7500-block of 140 Street. 

Pedestrian in hospital after a serious collision in Newton on Sunday

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home
IHIT has identified the victim as Troy Michael Regnier, in hopes of furthering their investigation. Surrey RCMP arrested three suspects at the scene, who were believed to have been known to the victim, though at this time no charges have been laid.

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan
The guidelines released Thursday encourage pupils and others to get vaccinated and to stay home when they are sick, while masking remains optional and is described as being a "personal or family choice."  

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan