Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

PM: united stance needed after Freeland harassed

PM: united stance needed after Freeland harassed
A video circulating online over the weekend shows Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland arriving inside City Hall in Grande Prairie, Alta., on Friday, and then being confronted by the man while she approached and entered an elevator.

PM: united stance needed after Freeland harassed

'Still a good day' despite Artemis delay: minister

'Still a good day' despite Artemis delay: minister
Champagne, who was in Florida for a two-day trip that included meetings with Canadian astronauts and NASA officials, got up at 1:30 a.m. to head to the launch pad in Cape Canaveral only to see the mission delayed. Canada is contributing a new robotic arm, the Canadarm 3, to the Gateway space station that NASA eventually plans to put in orbit around the moon.

'Still a good day' despite Artemis delay: minister

Ambulance review after report of B.C. infant death

Ambulance review after report of B.C. infant death
A statement from BC Emergency Health Services says in response to questions about the death in Barriere that it received a call to respond to a patient at a home in the community north of Kamloops on Thursday. It says the closest available ambulance was immediately dispatched, and local firefighters were also requested to assist with the call.

Ambulance review after report of B.C. infant death

$60M back-to-school fund for B.C. families

$60M back-to-school fund for B.C. families
Education Minister Jennifer Whiteside says families are already struggling with rising costs due to inflation and the government's fund aims to take the sting out of costs associated with the return to school next month. Whiteside says every school district in the province will receive a minimum of $250,000.

$60M back-to-school fund for B.C. families

VPD identify suspects in assault

VPD identify suspects in assault
The attack occurred outside a convenience store near Commercial Drive and East 10th Avenue in the early hours of July 31. Shortly after midnight, a 42-year-old man stopped to buy a slurpee. There was a brief verbal confrontation between the man and another person who was waiting in line, and when the victim left the store he was jumped by three men.

VPD identify suspects in assault

Floods, drought a major risk to Canada's economy

Floods, drought a major risk to Canada's economy
The report, titled "Aquanomics," is being published today by GHD, a global engineering and architecture services firm. GHD's Canadian water lead Don Holland said there are lots of reports that count up insured losses and physical damage after major events like last fall's atmospheric river in British Columbia.

Floods, drought a major risk to Canada's economy