Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Rich Coleman to run as mayor of Langley, B.C.

Rich Coleman to run as mayor of Langley, B.C.
Coleman is hoping to lead the new Elevate Langley party into municipal politics after first being elected as a B.C. Liberal member of the legislature in 1996. He was last in the public eye in May, when he was called for a second time to testify at an inquiry into money laundering via casinos in B.C. when he was gaming minister.

Rich Coleman to run as mayor of Langley, B.C.

BC Ferries delays after man arrested aboard vessel

BC Ferries delays after man arrested aboard vessel
It has provided no details about what happened on the Coastal Inspiration, which sails between Duke Point and Tsawwassen, but says availability of crew is also a factor in significant delays that could affect 10 sailings.

BC Ferries delays after man arrested aboard vessel

BCGEU talks resume as other unions line up

BCGEU talks resume as other unions line up
The BCGEU set up pickets outside liquor distribution warehouses last week and this week began banning overtime in a bid to pressure the province to return to the bargaining table.

BCGEU talks resume as other unions line up

Ottawa investing $60 million for skills training

Ottawa investing $60 million for skills training
Federal Employment Minister Carla Qualtrough made the announcement in Charlottetown, where a skills-training company in the city — Workplace Learning PEI — is set to receive about $1.5 million.

Ottawa investing $60 million for skills training

Trump used bully tactics in NAFTA talks: Freeland

Trump used bully tactics in NAFTA talks: Freeland
Freeland is responding to a characterization of herself as a frustrating and difficult negotiator in a new memoir by Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner. Freeland was the foreign affairs minister at the time and as such was Canada's chief negotiator in the talks.

Trump used bully tactics in NAFTA talks: Freeland

Visa delays leave international students in limbo

Visa delays leave international students in limbo
Students, universities, immigration consultants and even the High Commission of India have raised concerns about delayed visas putting many students' studies at risk. The High Commission of India in Ottawa said in a statement it was talking to Canadian universities about what can be done to accommodate the large number of Indian international students who are still waiting for visas.

Visa delays leave international students in limbo