Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday
RCMP Const. Mike Della-Paolera says police responded to a report that the boy was unconscious and not breathing and arrived at a home as a family member was performing CPR on the child on the hood of his vehicle. Della-Paolera says police were told the child had ingested an unknown substance.

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide
John Frederick Field, 60, received statutory release from Kent Institution on Thursday, but left his Vancouver halfway house around 7:30 p.m. and has not been seen or heard from since.His current whereabouts are unknown, and he is considered a significant risk to the public.

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby
Charges have been approved against a 59-year-old man in relation to an Indecent Act that occurred on Lougheed Highway in North Burnaby earlier this year. Burnaby RCMP’s High Risk Offender Unit took conduct of the investigation with assistance from other plainclothes units within the detachment.

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby

IHIT has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting.

IHIT has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting.
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting. Officers attended the scene and located two men associated to a taxi suffering from gun shot wounds.  

IHIT has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting.

Chief justice welcomes O'Bonsawin to Supreme Court

Chief justice welcomes O'Bonsawin to Supreme Court
In a statement today, Richard Wagner says Michelle O'Bonsawin has proven herself to be principled, authentic and hard-working throughout her career as a lawyer and judge. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau nominated O'Bonsawin earlier this month and on Friday confirmed her appointment to the top court effective Sept. 1.

Chief justice welcomes O'Bonsawin to Supreme Court

Cannabis stores close amid job action in B.C.

Cannabis stores close amid job action in B.C.
Mood Cannabis Co. chief executive Cory Waldron says he had to lay off 90 per cent of staff at his two Nanaimo stores because they weren't receiving deliveries from the BC Liquor Distribution Branch.

Cannabis stores close amid job action in B.C.