Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Meth production lab found inside Abbotsford residence

Meth production lab found inside Abbotsford residence
3 kilograms of Opioids and 7.4 kilograms of Methamphetamine were seized from within the residence. At this time, no arrests have been made. The investigation is in its early stages, with drug trafficking & production charges forthcoming.

Meth production lab found inside Abbotsford residence

Federal government to build 17,000 homes

Federal government to build 17,000 homes
Trudeau said housing prices are rising across the country, and many Canadians are worried about being able to afford a place to live, whether they're renting or looking to buy a home.

Federal government to build 17,000 homes

Federal cabinet shuffle coming Wednesday: sources

Federal cabinet shuffle coming Wednesday: sources
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is getting ready to shuffle his cabinet on Wednesday, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the plan. They confirmed to The Canadian Press that the Liberal front bench will get a slight makeover to account for one minister who has asked for lighter cabinet duties for personal reasons.

Federal cabinet shuffle coming Wednesday: sources

B.C. union ending job action, hoping for deal

B.C. union ending job action, hoping for deal
A statement from the B.C. General Employees' Union says its bargaining committee returned to the bargaining table with the province's public service agency last Thursday and they've made "significant progress" towards a tentative agreement.  

B.C. union ending job action, hoping for deal

B.C. posts surplus, despite big deficit forecast

B.C. posts surplus, despite big deficit forecast
Finance Minister Selina Robinson says the province's economy in 2021-22 outperformed both public and private sector predictions. The April 2021 budget, delivered during some of the darkest days of the COVID-19 pandemic, originally forecast a deficit of $9.7 billion, but revenues improved throughout the year.

B.C. posts surplus, despite big deficit forecast

Horgan says B.C. is addressing ambulance shortage

Horgan says B.C. is addressing ambulance shortage
Horgan's comments come after an infant in Barriere, B.C., reportedly died waiting for an ambulance, prompting Mayor Ward Stamer to call for flexibility around which first responders are allowed to take patients to hospital.

Horgan says B.C. is addressing ambulance shortage