Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

WATCH: DARPAN Showcases Spectacular Events in Surrey

WATCH: DARPAN Showcases Spectacular Events in Surrey
DARPAN Magazine brings you highlights from some incredible events that took place over the weekend. The events featured the best of what the City of Surrey has to offer in terms of entertainment, culture, music and much more.

WATCH: DARPAN Showcases Spectacular Events in Surrey

Downtown Eastside man dies following an interaction with Vancouver Police

Downtown Eastside man dies following an interaction with Vancouver Police
Vancouver Police responded shortly before 8 a.m. Monday after a man was seen acting erratically near East Hastings Street and Dunlevy Avenue. Following an interaction with police, the man was taken into custody. He then went into medical distress and lost consciousness.

Downtown Eastside man dies following an interaction with Vancouver Police

PM questions case for sending LNG to Europe

PM questions case for sending LNG to Europe
The comments came Monday during a joint news conference with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz in Montreal as the prime minister hosted the German leader during a visit that will also include stops in Toronto and Newfoundland.

PM questions case for sending LNG to Europe

Driver in hospital after deadly B.C. wedding crash

Driver in hospital after deadly B.C. wedding crash
Const. Nicole Braithwaite of West Vancouver Police told a press conference today that the scene of the incident at the 400 block of Keith Road was “chaotic.” She says two women in their 60s were pronounced dead at the scene, and seven people were taken to hospital, two in critical condition.

Driver in hospital after deadly B.C. wedding crash

VPD say guns found in encampment tent

VPD say guns found in encampment tent
Investigators believe the weapons were being used for protection and to intimidate others in the encampment. A 40-year-old from Vancouver, a 23-year-old from Burnaby and two men in their 20s from Surrey are due in court in October to face multiple charges.

VPD say guns found in encampment tent

Border blues: travel pressure mounts on Ottawa

Border blues: travel pressure mounts on Ottawa
The Canadian American Business Council's new campaign, "Travel Like it's 2019," aims to flood federal MPs with public demands for action. It calls on Ottawa to scrap the troublesome ArriveCan app, a mandatory pre-screening tool for visitors to Canada.

Border blues: travel pressure mounts on Ottawa