Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Transport minister to answer questions about airport delays at committee hearing

Transport minister to answer questions about airport delays at committee hearing
Transport Minister Omar Alghabra will testify today before the House of Commons transport committee on airport and airline delays that have wreaked havoc on travellers over the past several months. Airlines and airports have been grappling with a surge in customers this summer, compounded by staffing shortages affecting both carriers and federal agencies.

Transport minister to answer questions about airport delays at committee hearing

Interim handgun import ban kicks in today

Interim handgun import ban kicks in today
The measure is part of a broader firearms-control package that would allow for the automatic removal of gun licences from people committing domestic violence or engaged in criminal harassment, such as stalking, as well as increase maximum penalties for gun smuggling and trafficking to 14 years from 10.

Interim handgun import ban kicks in today

Pfizer booster approved for kids five to 11

Pfizer booster approved for kids five to 11
Health Canada has authorized a booster dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for children between five and 11 years old, chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam said Friday. Tam said the National Advisory Committee on Immunization recommends children with underlying health conditions should be offered a booster no earlier than six months after their second dose.

Pfizer booster approved for kids five to 11

B.C. to ration liquor sales, says ABLE BC

B.C. to ration liquor sales, says ABLE BC
The executive director of the Alliance of Beverage Licensees says the limits at BC Liquor Stores took effect at 9 a.m. and will ration the quantity of alcohol that customers, including pubs, bars, restaurants, and the public, may purchase in a single transaction.  

B.C. to ration liquor sales, says ABLE BC

One wolf dead, one missing in B.C. zoo escape

One wolf dead, one missing in B.C. zoo escape
The zoo in Aldergrove, B.C., has been shut for three days as workers and conservation officers searched for the wolves, while Langley RCMP investigate the incident as a suspected case of unlawful entry and vandalism.

One wolf dead, one missing in B.C. zoo escape

B.C. Liberals boot MLA after 'Celebrate CO2' tweet

B.C. Liberals boot MLA after 'Celebrate CO2' tweet
Party leader Kevin Falcon says in a statement that Rustad, who represents Nechako Lakes in central B.C., has been removed for what he says is a "pattern of behaviour" that isn't supportive of the caucus.

B.C. Liberals boot MLA after 'Celebrate CO2' tweet