Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Mar, 2022 11:34 AM
  • Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

OTTAWA - Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says the federal government will commit another $2 billion to help provincial health systems work through their surgical and diagnostic backlogs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The money, included in the newly tabled Bill C-17, follows a $4-billion top-up to the federal health transfer last summer and is expected to be a one-time payment, distributed equally based on population.

Throughout the pandemic hospitals across the country had to delay non-emergency procedures to make way for urgent COVID-19 cases.

That has led to delayed care for millions of Canadians, on top of already lengthy wait lists for many procedures and diagnostic tests.

In a report released last month, the Ontario Medical Association estimated the pandemic had delayed 21 million patient services in that province alone, including surgeries for preventative care, cancer screenings and diagnostic tests.

In addition, it said doctors are reporting that patients "who would have been diagnosed and treated sooner are coming in later and sicker" because of the pandemic.

"These delays are a burden that can be very hard to bear for the affected patients, their families and their loved ones, as well as for the health-care workers caring for them," Duclos said.

The Liberals promised an immediate $6-billion investment to address backlogs during the 2021 federal election campaign.

Provinces have been asking for the federal government to provide an increased share of health spending on a long-term basis so they can make more sustainable changes to address the stress on their health-care systems.

Duclos laid out what he called the federal government's vision for collaboration with the provinces and territories on health care, citing bilateral deals the government has made in child care and housing as an example.

"We need to acknowledge that if we do not act quickly and decisively, the long-term survival of the universal and public health system Canadians cherish is at risk," Duclos said.

"Canadians are not interested in a jurisdictional debate or a fiscal or financial fight."

This collaboration will focus on five priority areas, the minister said: backlogs and recruitment and retention of health-care workers; access to primary care; long-term care and home care; mental health and addictions; and digital health and virtual care.

Bill C-17 would also provide municipalities the authority to deal with transit shortfalls and improve housing supply and affordability, in partnership with the provinces and territories.

The federal government already announced a transfer of $750 million, a one-time payment to help cities maintain service levels despite decreased transit ridership as a result of the pandemic.

MORE National ARTICLES

Kids 5 and older must wear masks in public spaces

Kids 5 and older must wear masks in public spaces
Health Minister Adrian Dix says 55 critically ill people have been transferred from the region to intensive care units elsewhere in the province and that 43 of them were infected with COVID-19, with all but one of them not being fully vaccinated.

Kids 5 and older must wear masks in public spaces

Skeletal remains found in Newton: Surrey RCMP

Skeletal remains found in Newton: Surrey RCMP
On October 12, 2021, at 8:47 am, Surrey RCMP received a report of possible human skeletal remains located in bushes near 152 Street and 64 Avenue. City workers were in the area performing maintenance on the dyke when they discovered what they believed to be human skeletal remains.

Skeletal remains found in Newton: Surrey RCMP

Witnesses sought in Attempt Abduction

Witnesses sought in Attempt Abduction
On October 10, 2021 just before midnight, Surrey RCMP received a report that a woman was grabbed from behind by an unknown male who attempted to drag her away as she walked on a path in the green-space connecting Edinburgh Drive and 132 Street. 

Witnesses sought in Attempt Abduction

VPD appeals for witnesses to serious hit-and-run

VPD appeals for witnesses to serious hit-and-run
The victim, 30, was crossing East 41st Avenue at Fraser Street at 6:25 a.m. this morning when he was struck by a vehicle that was travelling west, causing serious head injuries.  The driver fled west without stopping.

VPD appeals for witnesses to serious hit-and-run

Most parents support masks in schools: survey

Most parents support masks in schools: survey
Most respondents (89 per cent) said they were vaccinated. Of those with children 12 and older who are eligible to get a dose, 81 per cent said their kids were also vaccinated.

Most parents support masks in schools: survey

Americans not focused on border with Canada: poll

Americans not focused on border with Canada: poll
The poll, conducted by Leger for the University of Manitoba and Metropolis North America, found just 29 per cent of U.S. respondents were fearful about the Canada-U.S. border.

Americans not focused on border with Canada: poll