Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Mar, 2022 11:34 AM
  • Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

OTTAWA - Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says the federal government will commit another $2 billion to help provincial health systems work through their surgical and diagnostic backlogs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The money, included in the newly tabled Bill C-17, follows a $4-billion top-up to the federal health transfer last summer and is expected to be a one-time payment, distributed equally based on population.

Throughout the pandemic hospitals across the country had to delay non-emergency procedures to make way for urgent COVID-19 cases.

That has led to delayed care for millions of Canadians, on top of already lengthy wait lists for many procedures and diagnostic tests.

In a report released last month, the Ontario Medical Association estimated the pandemic had delayed 21 million patient services in that province alone, including surgeries for preventative care, cancer screenings and diagnostic tests.

In addition, it said doctors are reporting that patients "who would have been diagnosed and treated sooner are coming in later and sicker" because of the pandemic.

"These delays are a burden that can be very hard to bear for the affected patients, their families and their loved ones, as well as for the health-care workers caring for them," Duclos said.

The Liberals promised an immediate $6-billion investment to address backlogs during the 2021 federal election campaign.

Provinces have been asking for the federal government to provide an increased share of health spending on a long-term basis so they can make more sustainable changes to address the stress on their health-care systems.

Duclos laid out what he called the federal government's vision for collaboration with the provinces and territories on health care, citing bilateral deals the government has made in child care and housing as an example.

"We need to acknowledge that if we do not act quickly and decisively, the long-term survival of the universal and public health system Canadians cherish is at risk," Duclos said.

"Canadians are not interested in a jurisdictional debate or a fiscal or financial fight."

This collaboration will focus on five priority areas, the minister said: backlogs and recruitment and retention of health-care workers; access to primary care; long-term care and home care; mental health and addictions; and digital health and virtual care.

Bill C-17 would also provide municipalities the authority to deal with transit shortfalls and improve housing supply and affordability, in partnership with the provinces and territories.

The federal government already announced a transfer of $750 million, a one-time payment to help cities maintain service levels despite decreased transit ridership as a result of the pandemic.

MORE National ARTICLES

Abbotsford Police need public's assistance in locating Chamkaur Singh Maan wanted for sexual assault

Abbotsford Police need public's assistance in locating Chamkaur Singh Maan wanted for sexual assault
He is South Asian, 41 years old, is 5ft 5 inches tall and weighs 281 Lbs. He has short dark hair and brown eyes.  Mann is known to the frequent the Clearbrook area. 

Abbotsford Police need public's assistance in locating Chamkaur Singh Maan wanted for sexual assault

Third hospital in B.C. declares COVID outbreak

Third hospital in B.C. declares COVID outbreak
There have been four more deaths in the province, including three in the Northern Health area, where the health minister has said the vaccination rate is lower than the rest of the province.

Third hospital in B.C. declares COVID outbreak

Incoming army commander under investigation

Incoming army commander under investigation
Cadieu was recently promoted and a ceremony to install him as head of the army was slated for Sept. 7. A 29-year veteran of the military, Cadieu previously served in Bosnia and Afghanistan before most recently providing analysis and advice to the chief of the defence staff.

Incoming army commander under investigation

O'Toole grapples with immunization for MPs

O'Toole grapples with immunization for MPs
Mandatory immunization has been called for by the Liberals and Bloc Québécois, and supported by the NDP, as parties prepare for Parliament to resume following last month's federal election.

O'Toole grapples with immunization for MPs

605 COVID19 cases for BC

605 COVID19 cases for BC
There are 5,172 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 187,564 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 374 people are in hospital and 153 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.    

605 COVID19 cases for BC

B.C. spends $132 million on treatment services

B.C. spends $132 million on treatment services
Sheila Malcolmson, the province's minister of mental health and addictions, says the program will include 65 new or improved services, about 130 more staff and 195 new substance-use treatment beds.

B.C. spends $132 million on treatment services