Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver police say woman's death considered a homicide, man also injured

Vancouver police say woman's death considered a homicide, man also injured
Police say they are investigating a homicide involving the death of a woman. Vancouver police say officers were called overnight to a home in an area near Rupert Street and Euclid Avenue on the city's east side.

Vancouver police say woman's death considered a homicide, man also injured

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his government's record on supporting national defence, following fresh criticism that Canada is failing to live up to its NATO defence-spending commitments. Speaking at the 70th annual session of the NATO parliamentary assembly in Montreal, Trudeau said his government stepped up "big time" after it came to power.

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

High school closed in Campbell River

High school closed in Campbell River
Hundreds of students in Campbell River, B.C., couldn't attend class on Friday because of a fire in their high school.  A statement from Campbell River Fire Chief Dan Verdun says they responded to a report of a fire in Carihi Secondary School late Thursday night.

High school closed in Campbell River

Fall legislative sitting scrapped in B.C. as Speaker Chouhan confirmed to serve again

Fall legislative sitting scrapped in B.C. as Speaker Chouhan confirmed to serve again
There won't be a sitting of the British Columbia legislature this fall as originally planned. The Office of the Premier issued a brief statement Friday saying that Raj Chouhan has been confirmed to serve again as the Speaker of the legislature, so there is no need to hold a sitting. 

Fall legislative sitting scrapped in B.C. as Speaker Chouhan confirmed to serve again

Former Quebec pension fund workers charged in U.S. in Indian government bribery case

Former Quebec pension fund workers charged in U.S. in Indian government bribery case
Quebec’s pension fund manager says it is co-operating with United States authorities after three former employees were indicted in federal court in Brooklyn, N.Y., in an alleged scheme to give hundreds of millions of dollars in bribes to the Indian government. The U.S. Attorney's Office says the trio were involved between 2020 and 2024 in a plot to pay more than US$250 million in bribes to Indian officials and to deceive investors and banks to secure contracts worth billions of dollars with a solar energy company.

Former Quebec pension fund workers charged in U.S. in Indian government bribery case

Man arrested on allegations he threatened police while livestreaming: Richmond RCMP

Man arrested on allegations he threatened police while livestreaming: Richmond RCMP
Mounties in Richmond say a man has been arrested for allegedly uttering threats against police while livestreaming on a social media platform. RCMP say they received the complaint about the man on Friday morning as he stood outside Richmond City Hall.

Man arrested on allegations he threatened police while livestreaming: Richmond RCMP