Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?
A new storm system is bearing down on British Columbia and is expected to bring another blast of potentially damaging winds, as the province continues to clean up from this week's powerful bomb cyclone. Environment Canada has issued a fresh round of special weather statements ahead of the storm's expected arrival on Friday, covering Vancouver Island, the Sunshine and Central coasts, and Howe Sound where winds up to 90 km/h are forecast.

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?

Car theft in Prince George

Car theft in Prince George
Prince George R-C-M-P want to identify a suspect in a theft on Monday from a car in a local parking lot. Police say he a took a bag containing clothing and other personal items worth over one-thousand-dollars in the lot in the 300-block of Victoria Street.

Car theft in Prince George

Early ski season for resorts

Early ski season for resorts
Several ski resorts across B-C -- including Whistler-Blackcomb, Big White and Cypress Mountain -- are starting their season early thanks to fresh powder. Big White says the resort outside Kelowna is set to open tomorrow, six days ahead of schedule, with an alpine base of 104-centimetres.

Early ski season for resorts

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed
An operating permit has been granted for the Cariboo Gold Mine in central British Columbia, a project that's expected to process 1.1 million tonnes of gold-bearing ore a year but is still opposed by a First Nation. The B.C. government says in a news release that Barkerville Gold Mines, owned by Osisko Development Corp., was issued the permit for the underground mine in a process that took 13 months to complete. 

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued
The Canada Border Services Agency provided the figures after being asked about a lawsuit against it by a Victoria solar firm, which says a shipment of solar panels worth more than $5 million was wrongfully detained over false suspicions they were made with forced labour in China. 

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued

Consul general reiterates he had no influence on $9M Manhattan condo purchase

Consul general reiterates he had no influence on $9M Manhattan condo purchase
Tom Clark was summoned back to testify before a parliamentary committee looking into the purchase after media reports earlier this month indicated he had raised concerns about the former residence, despite previously saying he never expressed a desire to move into a new one.

Consul general reiterates he had no influence on $9M Manhattan condo purchase