Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Parliament remains gridlocked amid Trump trade talk and postal strike

Parliament remains gridlocked amid Trump trade talk and postal strike
Parliament closes in on its eighth week of gridlock over a privilege motion, as Canada Post employees are on strike and calls emerge to exclude Mexico from upcoming trade talks. While question period has continued, other house business is on hold due to a Conservative privilege motion calling on the government to turn over unredacted documents on a green technology fund.

Parliament remains gridlocked amid Trump trade talk and postal strike

Police say death of young woman found in Halifax Walmart walk-in oven not suspicious

Police say death of young woman found in Halifax Walmart walk-in oven not suspicious
The death of a young Halifax woman whose body was recently found in a Walmart's walk-in oven was not suspicious and did not involve foul play, police said Monday. The death of the 19-year-old employee in the store's bakery was reported on Oct. 19.

Police say death of young woman found in Halifax Walmart walk-in oven not suspicious

Avian flu detected in additional Abbotsford and Chilliwack flocks: CFIA

Avian flu detected in additional Abbotsford and Chilliwack flocks: CFIA
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says it has detected the presence of highly pathogenic avian influenza in commercial poultry at additional locations in two British Columbia cities. The agency says the flu has been detected at two more premises in Abbotsford and Chilliwack, both of which have seen multiple cases since October. 

Avian flu detected in additional Abbotsford and Chilliwack flocks: CFIA

Stabbing assault in Surrey

Stabbing assault in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey say they are looking for the public’s help to identify a suspect who reportedly stabbed two youths last week.  Police say they responded to reports of the stabbing in the afternoon of November 14th in the city’s Newton neighbourhood, finding two injured youths. 

Stabbing assault in Surrey

Vancouver Island doctors set up overdose prevention sites without government blessing

Vancouver Island doctors set up overdose prevention sites without government blessing
Doctors on Vancouver Island say they're setting up unsanctioned overdose prevention sites on the grounds of Nanaimo General and Royal Jubilee hospitals this week because the B.C. government hasn't lived up to its promise to set aside space for the sites. Dr. Jess Wilder, an addictions and family medicine practitioner in Nanaimo, says her work has been mired in "controversy and politicization" lately, and setting up overdose prevention sites is "about saving lives." 

Vancouver Island doctors set up overdose prevention sites without government blessing

Trial begins for men accused in migrants' deaths near Manitoba border crossing

Trial begins for men accused in migrants' deaths near Manitoba border crossing
Jury selection is underway in the trial of two men accused of smuggling migrants across the Canada-U. S. border. Harshkumar Ramanlal Patel and Steve Shand are accused of being part of operation that brought people from India to Canada, then across the border from Manitoba to Minnesota.

Trial begins for men accused in migrants' deaths near Manitoba border crossing