Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa rules out early intervention to end Canada Post strike

Ottawa rules out early intervention to end Canada Post strike
The Liberal government in Ottawa is signalling it's not currently planning to intervene to end the Canada Post strike, even though the two sides appear to be far apart and the strike is hitting at the busiest time of year for the postal service. Some 55,000 workers hit the picket lines across Canada on Friday, after contract negotiations with their employer blew past the 72-hour strike deadline set by the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.

Ottawa rules out early intervention to end Canada Post strike

Inmate assaulted at Agassiz prison

Inmate assaulted at Agassiz prison
The Correctional Service Canada says an inmate was brought to an outside hospital after being assaulted at a maximum-security prison in Agassiz. It says in a news release that the attack happened last Friday.

Inmate assaulted at Agassiz prison

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific
Ottawa has concluded negotiations for a trade deal with Indonesia and is proposing nuclear-energy collaboration with Southeast Asian leaders. The moves are a show of faith for multilateralism as the re-election of Donald Trump in the United States is raising fears of further strain in global co-operation on trade and the environment.

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content
The CRTC is looking at how to redefine Canadian content, launching a new consultation with plans to hold a public hearing in the spring. That includes asking questions about whether artificial intelligence-created video can be considered Cancon.

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding
The Insurance Bureau of Canada is calling for more federal funding after storms in B-C last month caused more than 110-million dollars in damage.  Intense rainfall and wind brought on by an atmospheric river resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding roads, parking garages and basements in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Metro Vancouver and Surrey.

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Man charged in series of robberies

Man charged in series of robberies
Mounties in Surrey say a man has been charged with nine offences, including theft and disguise with intent after a series of robberies in the city.  They say officers responded to a report of a jewelry store theft on October 7th, where a suspect stole about 27-thousand dollars worth of goods. 

Man charged in series of robberies