Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Hindu temple in Surrey wants police suspended after protest unrest

Hindu temple in Surrey wants police suspended after protest unrest
The arrests outside the Sri Lakshmi Narayana Hindu Temple came as protesters calling for a separate Sikh nation called Khalistan had demonstrated outside the temple on Sunday during a visit by Indian consular officials.

Hindu temple in Surrey wants police suspended after protest unrest

Jump in home sales in Vancouver

Jump in home sales in Vancouver
Home sales in Greater Vancouver jumped nearly 32 per cent last month compared with October 2023 as interest rate reductions boosted demand. A statement from Greater Vancouver Realtors says more than 26-hundred homes changed hands, although that's still about 5.5 per cent below the 10-year average.

Jump in home sales in Vancouver

Shooting in a Nanaimo home

Shooting in a Nanaimo home
Police in Nanaimo say a man was taken to hospital with serious injuries following a shooting in a home on Saturday. R-C-M-P say they responded to reports of shots fired at around 6 p-m.

Shooting in a Nanaimo home

'Canada is watching': New northern Alberta police service trying to lead by example

'Canada is watching': New northern Alberta police service trying to lead by example
The result, he said, is a "non-traditional" policing model that will deploy mobile outreach workers alongside enforcement officers. 

'Canada is watching': New northern Alberta police service trying to lead by example

Woman hit with egg on Halloween treated in hospital, RCMP investigating as assault

Woman hit with egg on Halloween treated in hospital, RCMP investigating as assault
Mounties in northern Alberta say they're investigating a possible assault after a woman was hit in the face with an egg while handing out candy on Halloween. RCMP in Grande Prairie say the woman was taken to hospital and treated for injuries to her face.

Woman hit with egg on Halloween treated in hospital, RCMP investigating as assault

Oil, gas companies told to cut emissions by one-third under planned cap

Oil, gas companies told to cut emissions by one-third under planned cap
Oil and gas producers in Canada will be required to cut greenhouse gas emissions by about one-third over the next eight years under new regulations being published today by Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault. The regulations, still only in draft format and about two years behind schedule, could further strain relations between Ottawa and the Alberta government which recently launched a $7-million advertising campaign to "scrap the cap."

Oil, gas companies told to cut emissions by one-third under planned cap