Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspicious activity with van

Suspicious activity with van
Police in Metro Vancouver say they're investigating two reports of suspicious interactions involving a man driving a white van approaching young girls. New Westminster police say they received the second report after issuing a public statement about the first interaction involving two 12-year-old girls on October 26th.

Suspicious activity with van

Pedestrian dies in vehicle crash

Pedestrian dies in vehicle crash
Ridge Meadows Mounties say a female pedestrian died last week after being struck by a vehicle in one of three crashes involving cyclists or pedestrians in the area in the last seven days. Police say the fatal crash happened on Lougheed Highway on October 25th, when the 49-year-old victim from Pitt Meadows died at the scene despite live-saving efforts from emergency workers.

Pedestrian dies in vehicle crash

Canadian election watchers to gather in bars, homes to watch polarizing U.S. vote

Canadian election watchers to gather in bars, homes to watch polarizing U.S. vote
Canadians engrossed in the drama of the U.S. presidential election expect to gather in bars and living rooms to watch the votes roll in Tuesday, but many say the usual fanfare of watch parties will be muted by anxiety over the especially combative race.

Canadian election watchers to gather in bars, homes to watch polarizing U.S. vote

Day parole extended for Kelly Ellard

Day parole extended for Kelly Ellard
The Parole Board of Canada has granted another six months of day parole to the woman who beat and drowned 14-year-old Reena Virk with an accomplice in 1997. Kerry Sim, formerly Kelly Ellard, has been allowed day parole regularly since 2017 and the latest decision says she has displayed "stable and cooperative" behaviour.

Day parole extended for Kelly Ellard

Union issues strike notice in B.C. port labour dispute, employers say

Union issues strike notice in B.C. port labour dispute, employers say
Employers at British Columbia's ports say they have received 72-hour strike notice from the union representing about 700 foremen in an ongoing labour dispute. The two sides had been negotiating with the help of a federal mediator for the last three days in a bid to avoid a work stoppage that would affect all ports in B.C.

Union issues strike notice in B.C. port labour dispute, employers say

Survivors call on Canada to criminalize residential school denialism

Survivors call on Canada to criminalize residential school denialism
Residential school survivors are calling on Canada to criminalize residential school denialism, echoing one of the findings in a report about unmarked graves and burial sites associated with the institutions. Doug George, a survivor of the Mohawk Institute, said Canadians need to acknowledge the schools' place in history and to ensure the children who died are not silenced.

Survivors call on Canada to criminalize residential school denialism