Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Judicial recount dates set for two B.C. ridings to wrap up provincial election

Judicial recount dates set for two B.C. ridings to wrap up provincial election
Vote counting in the British Columbia provincial election will finally conclude next week with judicial recounts set for two ridings. Elections BC says the province's Supreme Court has confirmed recounts in Kelowna Centre and Surrey-Guildford will take place on Nov. 7 and Nov. 8.

Judicial recount dates set for two B.C. ridings to wrap up provincial election

B.C.'s Golden Ears park closed due to damage from atmospheric river

B.C.'s Golden Ears park closed due to damage from atmospheric river
The Environment Ministry says the storm that rolled over the region for three days starting on Oct. 18 left a trail of damage at Golden Ears Provincial Park, north of Maple Ridge. A statement from the ministry says the province hopes to be able to reopen a portion of the park this fall, but the exact timeline is not yet clear.

B.C.'s Golden Ears park closed due to damage from atmospheric river

Gurpreet Randhawa arrested in most sophisticated illicit drug "superlab" in Canadian history

Gurpreet Randhawa arrested in most sophisticated illicit drug
Mounties have dismantled what they say is the largest, most sophisticated illicit drug "superlab" in Canada. Police say they believe organized crime ran the operation where there was mass-production and distribution of fentanyl and methamphetamine across Canada and internationally.

Gurpreet Randhawa arrested in most sophisticated illicit drug "superlab" in Canadian history

Assassins of B.C. man acquitted of Air India bombing 'hired and paid': court document

Assassins of B.C. man acquitted of Air India bombing 'hired and paid': court document
Court documents in the case of two men who murdered British Columbia businessman Ripudaman Singh Malik in 2022 say they were "hired and paid" to kill him. However, the agreed statement of facts does not say who hired them to kill Malik, who was acquitted in 2005 in a B.C. court of the Air India bombings that killed 331 people in 1985. 

Assassins of B.C. man acquitted of Air India bombing 'hired and paid': court document

Creditors to vote on proposed $32.5B tobacco settlement in December

Creditors to vote on proposed $32.5B tobacco settlement in December
Creditors of three major tobacco companies will get the chance to weigh in on a proposed multi-billion-dollar settlement in December. An Ontario court has approved a motion that would see representatives for the creditors, which include provincial governments and plaintiffs in two Quebec class-action lawsuits, review and vote on the proposal on Dec. 12.

Creditors to vote on proposed $32.5B tobacco settlement in December

Union talks underway between foremen, employers to avoid latest B.C. port strike

Union talks underway between foremen, employers to avoid latest B.C. port strike
Both the BC Maritime Employers Association and the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 confirm talks are ongoing with the help of federal mediation services. The current negotiation session began on Oct. 29 and was said to be extendable by two days, if necessary.

Union talks underway between foremen, employers to avoid latest B.C. port strike