Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Two plead guilty to B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik

Two plead guilty to B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik
Two men charged in the killing of former Air India bombing suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik have pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a British Columbia court. The courthouse in New Westminster confirmed the pleas from Tanner Fox and Jose Lopez in the 2022 shooting of Malik, who was acquitted in 2005 over the 1985 bombings that killed 331 people. 

Two plead guilty to B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik

Parliament returns amid partisan wrangling, rumblings about Trudeau's leadership

Parliament returns amid partisan wrangling, rumblings about Trudeau's leadership
The House of Commons returns today from a weeklong break, but it's unlikely to be business as usual. Members of Parliament resumed an 11th day of debate on a Conservative demand for documents about federal spending on green technology projects.

Parliament returns amid partisan wrangling, rumblings about Trudeau's leadership

B.C. woman, 57, found dead after home swept away by mudslide

B.C. woman, 57, found dead after home swept away by mudslide
Police in British Columbia say two people are dead and another is missing, thought to be inside a submerged vehicle, after a weekend of torrential rain that triggered mudslides, road washouts and localized flooding.

B.C. woman, 57, found dead after home swept away by mudslide

RCMP investigate after home shot at, 13-year-old injured in northern Manitoba

RCMP investigate after home shot at, 13-year-old injured in northern Manitoba
A 13-year-old boy has been seriously injured in a shooting in northern Manitoba. RCMP responded early Saturday morning to a report of shots bring fired at a home in Nisichawayasihk (nis-sis-TWAH'-see) Cree Nation, west of Thompson.

RCMP investigate after home shot at, 13-year-old injured in northern Manitoba

Minimum wage to hire higher-paid temporary foreign workers set to increase

Minimum wage to hire higher-paid temporary foreign workers set to increase
The federal government is expected to boost the minimum hourly wage that must be paid to temporary foreign workers in the high-wage stream as a way to encourage employers to hire more Canadian staff. Under the current program’s high-wage labour market impact assessment (LMIA) stream, an employer must pay at least the median income in their province to qualify for a permit.

Minimum wage to hire higher-paid temporary foreign workers set to increase

Wildfire smoke pollution linked to thousands of annual deaths: global study

Wildfire smoke pollution linked to thousands of annual deaths: global study
A new international study co-authored by a Canadian researcher says climate change is contributing to thousands more wildfire smoke-related deaths than in previous decades. The modelling study estimates that about 12,566 annual wildfire smoke-related deaths in the 2010s were linked to climate change, up from about 669 in the 1960s. 

Wildfire smoke pollution linked to thousands of annual deaths: global study