Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Public inquiry grapples with definition of foreign interference in its final week

Public inquiry grapples with definition of foreign interference in its final week
A federal public inquiry into foreign interference is grappling with how to define its central issue as it begins the final week of hearings in Ottawa. The inquiry will hear from expert panels this week on disinformation, national security and how to ensure electoral integrity. 

Public inquiry grapples with definition of foreign interference in its final week

Here's what the party leaders said after British Columbia's tight election

Here's what the party leaders said after British Columbia's tight election
The outcome of British Columbia's election was unclear after a close race between the NDP and the B.C. Conservatives, with the Greens poised to play a role in a potential minority government. Here's what the party leaders said on Saturday's election night.

Here's what the party leaders said after British Columbia's tight election

Bishnoi gang: Experts say fear of Indian syndicate has existed for years in Canada

Bishnoi gang: Experts say fear of Indian syndicate has existed for years in Canada
Kash Heed said the Bishnoi gang, led by Lawrence Bishnoi, gained notoriety and instilled fear among Indian Canadians well before the RCMP accused the syndicate this week of orchestrating violent crimes on Canadian soil.

Bishnoi gang: Experts say fear of Indian syndicate has existed for years in Canada

B.C.'s final election result won't be known until recounts complete Oct. 26-28

B.C.'s final election result won't be known until recounts complete Oct. 26-28
The final results of British Columbia's weekend election won't be known until at least next week. Elections BC says official recounts are being held in two tight ridings where the difference between the New Democrat and B.C. Conservatives candidates is less than 100 votes.

B.C.'s final election result won't be known until recounts complete Oct. 26-28

Search underway for hiker missing from park in remote area of northern B.C.: RCMP

Search underway for hiker missing from park in remote area of northern B.C.: RCMP
Police in northeastern British Columbia say they're searching for a man who has failed to return from a 10-day camping trip in a remote provincial park. RCMP say Sam Benastick's family reported him missing on Saturday, after he didn't come home from the trip to Redfern-Keily Park, located about 250 kilometres northwest of Fort St. John.

Search underway for hiker missing from park in remote area of northern B.C.: RCMP

One home washed away in B.C. mudslide, owner missing: police

One home washed away in B.C. mudslide, owner missing: police
Officers responded to a report of the slide along Quarry Road on the east side of Pinecone Burke Provincial Park at about 12:30 p.m. Saturday, Coquitlam RCMP said in a statement issued Sunday. The slide washed away one home, and Cpl. Alexa Hodgins with the Coquitlam detachment said it's believed the home was occupied at the time.

One home washed away in B.C. mudslide, owner missing: police