Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Rustad says no plan for user-pays health as B.C. voters break advance polling record

Rustad says no plan for user-pays health as B.C. voters break advance polling record
B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad says he has no plan for a user-pays health-care system in British Columbia, after the rival NDP released a recording of him calling the Canada Health Act "silly" for not allowing such a system. NDP Leader David Eby accused Rustad of planning "American style" user pays, saying he would let people "buy their way to the front of the line."

Rustad says no plan for user-pays health as B.C. voters break advance polling record

New area code for BC in 2025

New area code for BC in 2025
British Columbia is getting a new phone area code next year.  The 2-5-7 area code will be introduced gradually starting May 24th.

New area code for BC in 2025

Vancouver Island Police search for missing woman

Vancouver Island Police search for missing woman
Police on Vancouver Island are appealing to the public for information that could help them find a woman reported missing more than two years ago. R-C-M-P say they believe Amber Manthorne's disappearance in July 2022 was the result of foul play, and it's unlikely the 40-year-old will be found alive.

Vancouver Island Police search for missing woman

Leaders converge on Vancouver Island as B.C. voters break advance polling record

Leaders converge on Vancouver Island as B.C. voters break advance polling record
Leaders of British Columbia's main political parties have converged on Vancouver Island in the final stage of campaigning before the provincial election on Saturday, with record numbers of voters already casting their ballots in advance polling. Elections BC says more than 181,000 people voted on Tuesday, breaking a record set on the first day of voting last week.

Leaders converge on Vancouver Island as B.C. voters break advance polling record

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults
The incident on Sunday is captured on video, showing a man in a grey suit berating supporters of Richmond Centre candidate Wendy Yuan while they were waving signs at an intersection. The man is seen swearing at the group and telling them to "take down" the Chinese Communist Party instead of "coming over here on your … little boats."

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister
Canada's border guards have recovered more stolen vehicles at railyards and ports so far this year than in all of 2023.  Transport Minister Anita Anand said the Canada Border Services Agency has recovered 1,945 stolen vehicles, with the majority found in Quebec.

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister