Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada Revenue Agency fires 330 employees over CERB claims during pandemic

Canada Revenue Agency fires 330 employees over CERB claims during pandemic
The Canada Revenue Agency says it has terminated 330 employees for inappropriately receiving the Canada Emergency Response Benefit during the pandemic, giving its final update on an internal review.

Canada Revenue Agency fires 330 employees over CERB claims during pandemic

Man with prior assault convictions charged in Vancouver tourist beating

Man with prior assault convictions charged in Vancouver tourist beating
Police say a man has been charged with aggravated assault and remains in custody after an unprovoked attack on a woman who was visiting Vancouver.  Vancouver police say the 35-year-old victim was walking near the cruise ship terminal at Canada Place shortly before 9 a.m. Sunday when she was assaulted.

Man with prior assault convictions charged in Vancouver tourist beating

Focus on vulnerable communities, improve data sharing before next pandemic: report

Focus on vulnerable communities, improve data sharing before next pandemic: report
An expert panel of doctors and researchers say Canada needs to learn from the COVID-19 pandemic and take action before the next health emergency strikes.  One of the six experts, Dr. Fahad Razak, says most scientists believe it's "only a matter of time" before another global health crisis hits.

Focus on vulnerable communities, improve data sharing before next pandemic: report

Statistics Canada says levels of food insecurity rose in 2022

Statistics Canada says levels of food insecurity rose in 2022
Statistics Canada says the level of food insecurity increased in 2022 as inflation hit peak levels. In a report using data from the Canadian community health survey, the agency says 15.6 per cent of households experienced some level of food insecurity in 2022 after being relatively stable from 2017 to 2021.

Statistics Canada says levels of food insecurity rose in 2022

Trudeau says he has list of Conservatives vulnerable to foreign interference

Trudeau says he has list of Conservatives vulnerable to foreign interference
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has refused to get the security clearance necessary to be briefed on a list of people in his party who are vulnerable to foreign interference. Trudeau told a public inquiry today he has directed Canada's spy service to inform Poilievre of the information so he can make decisions to protect the integrity of his party.

Trudeau says he has list of Conservatives vulnerable to foreign interference

U.K. calls for India co-operation in probe, analyst warns allies might limit response

U.K. calls for India co-operation in probe, analyst warns allies might limit response
The British government says India should co-operate with Canada's investigation into accusations that New Delhi has been involved in an escalating number of violent crimes in Canada, as an analyst warns that strategic interests might limit how allies respond to the bombshell claims. Meanwhile, members of Parliament are likely to look into how Ottawa can best respond to the allegations, with the four major political parties requesting an emergency meeting.

U.K. calls for India co-operation in probe, analyst warns allies might limit response