Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Rainfall warning issued for BC

Rainfall warning issued for BC
Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning for northwest and coastal regions of the province. The warning covers the northern coast, as well as Haida Gwaii and inland regions including Kitimat, Stewart and Terrace.

Rainfall warning issued for BC

Weekend shooting in Langley

Weekend shooting in Langley
B-C's Integrated Homicide Team says officers have been deployed after a shooting in Langley this weekend. It says Mounties responded to reports of shots fired around 6 P-M on Saturday in the area of 196th Street and 84th Avenue, and found two men suffering gun-shot wounds.

Weekend shooting in Langley

RCMP officers face firing over 'atrocious' racist behaviour, harassment

RCMP officers face firing over 'atrocious' racist behaviour, harassment
A schedule from the RCMP shows Constables Philip Dick, Ian Solven and Mersad Mesbah are slated to appear next February for code of conduct hearings over allegations including discrimination, harassment and discrediting the police force.

RCMP officers face firing over 'atrocious' racist behaviour, harassment

B.C. NDP Leader David Eby launches election campaign a day early in key battleground

B.C. NDP Leader David Eby launches election campaign a day early in key battleground
New Democrat Leader David Eby has launched his British Columbia election campaign a day early, making the key battle ground of Surrey his first stop. The fixed election date of Oct. 19 means the campaign doesn't officially start until Saturday. 

B.C. NDP Leader David Eby launches election campaign a day early in key battleground

RCMP ask for help in finding 7-year-old girl missing near Burns Lake

RCMP ask for help in finding 7-year-old girl missing near Burns Lake
Police are asking the public for help in finding a seven-year-old girl missing from her home about 250 kilometres west of Prince George. RCMP say Oaklynn Schwedder was last seen outside her home in the small community of Southbank, near Burns Lake, at 6 p.m. on Thursday.

RCMP ask for help in finding 7-year-old girl missing near Burns Lake

RCMP say arson destroyed Red Bridge across Thompson River in Kamloops

RCMP say arson destroyed Red Bridge across Thompson River in Kamloops
Police in Kamloops ay they have launched an arson investigation into the fire that destroyed the 88-year-old Red Bridge across the South Thompson River. RCMP say in a statement that the blaze started early Thursday morning and by the time fire crews and police arrived, the bridge was fully engulfed in flames. 

RCMP say arson destroyed Red Bridge across Thompson River in Kamloops