Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD on lookout for SUV occupants

VPD on lookout for SUV occupants
Vancouver Police are looking for the occupants of an S-U-V that was in the area where Japanese chef Wataru Kakiuchi was fatally stabbed early on June 5th. A 32-year-old man was arrested and charged with second-degree murder less than a week after the stabbing in the city's Downtown Eastside.

VPD on lookout for SUV occupants

Fire destroys historic Kamloops bridge

Fire destroys historic Kamloops bridge
An early morning fire has destroyed a historic bridge in Kamloops. The blaze is believed to have started in the middle of city's Red Bridge at around 3 a-m, eventually engulfing the wooden structure that had two lanes for vehicles.

Fire destroys historic Kamloops bridge

B.C. Premier touts involuntary care plans at convention, days before campaign begins

B.C. Premier touts involuntary care plans at convention, days before campaign begins
B.C. Premier David Eby says several city governments are on board with having a "secure site" to house and treat severely mentally ill and drug addicted people.  Eby told local politicians at the Union of B.C. Municipalities conference in Vancouver that public safety is a priority for cities, especially in downtown cores, where many people are seen "visibly" struggling with addictions. 

B.C. Premier touts involuntary care plans at convention, days before campaign begins

Climate, food security, Arctic among Canada's intelligence priorities, Ottawa says

Climate, food security, Arctic among Canada's intelligence priorities, Ottawa says
The pressing issues of climate change and food security join more familiar ones like violent extremism and espionage on a new list of Canada's intelligence priorities. The federal government says publishing the list of priorities for the first time is an important step toward greater transparency.

Climate, food security, Arctic among Canada's intelligence priorities, Ottawa says

B.C. and First Nations reach deal to sell 2,600 condos at 60% of market value

B.C. and First Nations reach deal to sell 2,600 condos at 60% of market value
An agreement between First Nations and the British Columbia government will see thousands of homes made available in Vancouver at 40-per-cent below cost. Premier David Eby calls it a "remarkable" accomplishment between the province and the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations, which would see about 2,600 homes sold for 60 per cent of the value in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world. 

B.C. and First Nations reach deal to sell 2,600 condos at 60% of market value

NDP flips, BC United flops, B.C. Conservatives surge as election campaign approaches

NDP flips, BC United flops, B.C. Conservatives surge as election campaign approaches
If the lead up to British Columbia's provincial election campaign is any indication of what’s to come, voters should expect the unexpected.  It could be a wild ride to voting day on Oct. 19.

NDP flips, BC United flops, B.C. Conservatives surge as election campaign approaches