Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa police use DNA from 1996 murder to identify Vancouver stabbing suspect

Ottawa police use DNA from 1996 murder to identify Vancouver stabbing suspect
Ottawa police say 73-year-old Lawrence Diehl was taken into custody by Vancouver police on Dec. 10 and returned to Ottawa, and he's accused of second-degree murder in the death of Christopher Smith on April 12, 1996. 

Ottawa police use DNA from 1996 murder to identify Vancouver stabbing suspect

Historic plane's final trip to U.S. interrupted by emergency landing near Victoria

Historic plane's final trip to U.S. interrupted by emergency landing near Victoria
The Victoria Airport Authority confirmed the Philippine Mars, one of two remaining aircraft of its kind, had to land at the airport's water aerodrome at Patricia Bay on Sunday due to mechanical problems. 

Historic plane's final trip to U.S. interrupted by emergency landing near Victoria

Ottawa promises $1.3 billion for border security as U.S. tariff threat looms

Ottawa promises $1.3 billion for border security as U.S. tariff threat looms
The federal government is promising to spend $1.3 billion over six years to beef up Canada’s border security but still won't say exactly how that money will be spent. The figures are part of the government's fall economic statement which was tabled in the House of Commons this afternoon in Ottawa.

Ottawa promises $1.3 billion for border security as U.S. tariff threat looms

Al Raine, only mayor of Sun Peaks dead at the age of 83

Al Raine, only mayor of Sun Peaks dead at the age of 83
Al Raine, the only mayor of Sun Peaks Resort Municipality and husband of champion skier Nancy Greene Raine, has died at the age of 83. Raine issued a statement on Saturday, saying that as of midnight he would resign as Sun Peaks mayor, saying it wasn't something he wanted to do but his illness was growing more difficult. 

Al Raine, only mayor of Sun Peaks dead at the age of 83

Wind warning issued for coastal BC

Wind warning issued for coastal BC
Environment Canada has issued a wind warning for northern coastal regions of B-C, including Prince Rupert and Portland Inlet. It says a building ridge of high pressure over the Interior of B-C will push arctic air and strong winds through inlets and valleys starting tonight, with gusts up to 100 kilometres an hour expected.

Wind warning issued for coastal BC

Man stabbed in Port Alberni

Man stabbed in Port Alberni
Mounties in Port Alberni say a man remains in critical condition after being stabbed in the city this weekend. They say officers responded to a call around 4:30 p.m. on Saturday and arrived to find the injured victim. 

Man stabbed in Port Alberni