Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says
The federal government pushed to end the work stoppage last week, when Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon directed the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order the 55,000 picketing employees back to work within days if it determined a deal isn't doable before the end of the year.

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government is reeling as he loses top cabinet ministers, including Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland who was set to release a key economic update on Monday. Freeland made a surprise declaration she's making her exit from cabinet because the prime minister lost faith in her, after she fought back against some of his policy decisions and he wanted to assign her to a new role.

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.
Squamish RCMP say emergency crews have recovered the body of one of the two people who may have been home after their residence was hit by the same mudslide that closed the Sea to Sky highway. BC RCMP spokesperson Cpl. James Grandy says the search continues this evening for a second person who remains unaccounted for.

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.

Interac e-transfer scams making the rounds in New Westminster

Interac e-transfer scams making the rounds in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are warning the public about Interac e-transfer scams after a resident in the city was defrauded of three-thousand dollars. They say victims of this type of scam often receive an email that prompts them to click a link and enter their banking details.

Interac e-transfer scams making the rounds in New Westminster

New military vessel launched in B.C. bears illustrious naval name

New military vessel launched in B.C. bears illustrious naval name
A Canadian Navy vessel with the name HMCS Protecteur will again set sail, nearly a decade after the last supply ship with its respected legacy was taken out of service. The new joint support ship — the longest naval vessel ever to be built in Canada — was launched at a rainy ceremony at shipbuilder Seaspan's shipyards in North Vancouver, B.C., attended by dignitaries, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

New military vessel launched in B.C. bears illustrious naval name

Trump's 'strategy' is to create economic uncertainty in other countries: Freeland

Trump's 'strategy' is to create economic uncertainty in other countries: Freeland
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland says with Donald Trump as president, the United States has an open strategy of creating economic uncertainty in other countries to discourage investment outside U.S. borders. Freeland says the incoming Trump administration is proudly economic nationalist and Ottawa is realistic in recognizing that's the case.

Trump's 'strategy' is to create economic uncertainty in other countries: Freeland