Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jul, 2025 11:18 AM
  • Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

The BC Wildfire Service says a blaze that shut down Kelowna's airport and triggered a handful of tactical evacuations has been brought under control.

Police began telling residents to get out on Sunday afternoon and later that night the Regional District of Central Okanagan ordered residents out of homes at seven addresses at risk from the Whelan Creek wildfire.

That evacuation order was being downgraded to an alert as of 6 p.m. Monday and those residents will join people living at more than 100 other addresses being told that they need to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

The airport west of the fire shut down its operations on Sunday due to the blaze, but issued an update Monday saying it had returned to regular operations, although it cautioned that passengers may experience cancellations or delays.

The wildfire service says the fire isn't projected to spread beyond its current perimeter, and it was estimated at about six hectares in size.

Mounties previously reported that the blaze had been burning uphill toward Postill Lake, northeast of Kelowna, and toward several other nearby lakes that have cabins and campsites.

It is one of about 80 blazes currently burning across B.C.

The service said in an update on Monday that a cold front was likely to bring windy conditions throughout the province on Tuesday, and combined with high temperatures and dry conditions it could "elevate the fire danger rating."

It said, however, that areas behind the cold front will see cooler temperatures and may see some rain.

The wildfire service has lifted a ban on campfires in the Fort Nelson Forest District, covering the province's northeast. Larger fires remain banned, as well as fireworks, fire lanterns and other devices.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Marissa Tiel

MORE National ARTICLES

Ironworkers Local 97 calls for 'immediate end' to Temporary Foreign Worker program

Ironworkers Local 97 calls for 'immediate end' to Temporary Foreign Worker program
Ironworkers Local 97 business manager Doug Parton said the union has been lobbying the federal government for years about shoring up the domestic skilled trades workforce. 

Ironworkers Local 97 calls for 'immediate end' to Temporary Foreign Worker program

RCMP announce murder charge in 2021 slaying of 52-year-old man in small B.C. town

RCMP announce murder charge in 2021 slaying of 52-year-old man in small B.C. town
Mounties in B.C. say a 64-year-old Vancouver man has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the death of a man in 70 Mile House in December 2021. B.C. RCMP say 52-year-old The-Thanh (Ted) Nguyen was found unresponsive at a home in the small community on Dec. 26, 2021 and efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.

RCMP announce murder charge in 2021 slaying of 52-year-old man in small B.C. town

North Shore Rescue team finds missing hiker after all-night search

North Shore Rescue team finds missing hiker after all-night search
A search and rescue team in North Vancouver says a missing hiker has been located after an all-night search. North Shore Rescue says the hiker was found "cold and wet, but uninjured" near Norvan Falls in Lynn Headwaters Regional Park.

North Shore Rescue team finds missing hiker after all-night search

Three B.C. Conservatives kicked from the party will sit as Independents

Three B.C. Conservatives kicked from the party will sit as Independents
Three former B.C. Conservative legislators have announced they will sit as Independents in the provincial legislature. Dallas Brodie was kicked out of the party on Friday over her comments about residential schools, and Jordan Kealy and Tara Armstrong left the party saying Opposition Leader John Rustad had abandoned the truth.

Three B.C. Conservatives kicked from the party will sit as Independents

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien tells Trump to 'stop this nonsense'

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien tells Trump to 'stop this nonsense'
Moments before the new Liberal leader was announced on Sunday, former prime minister Jean Chrétien took to the stage to reprimand U.S. President Donald Trump over tariffs and threats to Canada's sovereignty. Chrétien warned a crowd of Liberals gathered in Ottawa that Canada’s “long and fruitful” relationship with Americans was falling apart with continued hostility coming from the Trump administration.

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien tells Trump to 'stop this nonsense'

U.S. commerce secretary says steel and aluminum tariffs coming this week

U.S. commerce secretary says steel and aluminum tariffs coming this week
Canada remains in the crosshairs of U.S. President Donald Trump's enormous tariff agenda, with steel and aluminum duties set to come into force on Wednesday. U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick said Sunday that Trump will follow through on his threat to impose 25 per cent tariffs on steel and aluminum imports into the U.S.

U.S. commerce secretary says steel and aluminum tariffs coming this week