Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jul, 2025 11:18 AM
  • Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

The BC Wildfire Service says a blaze that shut down Kelowna's airport and triggered a handful of tactical evacuations has been brought under control.

Police began telling residents to get out on Sunday afternoon and later that night the Regional District of Central Okanagan ordered residents out of homes at seven addresses at risk from the Whelan Creek wildfire.

That evacuation order was being downgraded to an alert as of 6 p.m. Monday and those residents will join people living at more than 100 other addresses being told that they need to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

The airport west of the fire shut down its operations on Sunday due to the blaze, but issued an update Monday saying it had returned to regular operations, although it cautioned that passengers may experience cancellations or delays.

The wildfire service says the fire isn't projected to spread beyond its current perimeter, and it was estimated at about six hectares in size.

Mounties previously reported that the blaze had been burning uphill toward Postill Lake, northeast of Kelowna, and toward several other nearby lakes that have cabins and campsites.

It is one of about 80 blazes currently burning across B.C.

The service said in an update on Monday that a cold front was likely to bring windy conditions throughout the province on Tuesday, and combined with high temperatures and dry conditions it could "elevate the fire danger rating."

It said, however, that areas behind the cold front will see cooler temperatures and may see some rain.

The wildfire service has lifted a ban on campfires in the Fort Nelson Forest District, covering the province's northeast. Larger fires remain banned, as well as fireworks, fire lanterns and other devices.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Marissa Tiel

MORE National ARTICLES

Trump's temporary pause on some tariffs brings little relief to Canada

Trump's temporary pause on some tariffs brings little relief to Canada
Trump signed an executive order Thursday delaying tariffs on goods that meet the rules-of-origin requirements under the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement, often referred to as CUSMA, and lowering levies on potash to 10 per cent, until April 2.

Trump's temporary pause on some tariffs brings little relief to Canada

B.C. Conservative attacks 'super angry' Indigenous colleague over residential schools

B.C. Conservative attacks 'super angry' Indigenous colleague over residential schools
Dallas Brodie didn't name anyone, but appeared to single out the Conservatives' house leader, A'aliya Warbus, by criticizing an Indigenous woman who sided with the governing NDP to criticize Brodie. Warbus is the only Indigenous woman in the Opposition ranks

B.C. Conservative attacks 'super angry' Indigenous colleague over residential schools

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre
In a new report, the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security says it expects individuals affiliated with the Chinese government will continue to target diaspora communities, pushing narratives favourable to Beijing's interests on social media platforms. Cybercriminals are also likely to take advantage of election-related opportunities to perpetrate scams, says the centre, which is an arm of Canada's cyberspy agency, the Communications Security Establishment. 

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement
British Columbia Attorney General Niki Sharma says B.C.'s share of a landmark settlement for health damages from the big tobacco firms will be about $3.7 billion. It's part of a $32.5-billion Canadian settlement between JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. and their creditors after more than five years of negotiations.

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response
British Columbia will introduce legislation in the coming days that would give it the ability to levy fees on commercial trucks travelling from the United States through the province to Alaska, Premier David Eby said.  The move against Alaska-bound trucks is part of a series of responses the province is planning after the "unprecedented attack" from the United States that put a 25 per cent tariff on many Canadian goods.

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause
Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc says Canada has suspended a second wave of retaliatory tariffs after U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order to pause some duties.

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause