Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jul, 2025 11:18 AM
  • Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

The BC Wildfire Service says a blaze that shut down Kelowna's airport and triggered a handful of tactical evacuations has been brought under control.

Police began telling residents to get out on Sunday afternoon and later that night the Regional District of Central Okanagan ordered residents out of homes at seven addresses at risk from the Whelan Creek wildfire.

That evacuation order was being downgraded to an alert as of 6 p.m. Monday and those residents will join people living at more than 100 other addresses being told that they need to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

The airport west of the fire shut down its operations on Sunday due to the blaze, but issued an update Monday saying it had returned to regular operations, although it cautioned that passengers may experience cancellations or delays.

The wildfire service says the fire isn't projected to spread beyond its current perimeter, and it was estimated at about six hectares in size.

Mounties previously reported that the blaze had been burning uphill toward Postill Lake, northeast of Kelowna, and toward several other nearby lakes that have cabins and campsites.

It is one of about 80 blazes currently burning across B.C.

The service said in an update on Monday that a cold front was likely to bring windy conditions throughout the province on Tuesday, and combined with high temperatures and dry conditions it could "elevate the fire danger rating."

It said, however, that areas behind the cold front will see cooler temperatures and may see some rain.

The wildfire service has lifted a ban on campfires in the Fort Nelson Forest District, covering the province's northeast. Larger fires remain banned, as well as fireworks, fire lanterns and other devices.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Marissa Tiel

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. signs $670-million pharmacare agreement with federal government

B.C. signs $670-million pharmacare agreement with federal government
The British Columbia and federal governments have signed a four-year, $670-million pharmacare agreement, giving universal access to contraceptive and diabetes medications. The plan will support nearly 550,000 B.C. residents with diabetes and provide 1.3 million people with a range of contraceptives.

B.C. signs $670-million pharmacare agreement with federal government

Another earthquake felt on B.C.'s south coast, third in two weeks

Another earthquake felt on B.C.'s south coast, third in two weeks
Another earthquake has shaken Victoria, becoming at least the third felt in British Columbia's capital in less than two weeks. Earthquakes Canada says the magnitude 3.9 earthquake occurred about 58 kilometres south of Victoria, at 4:18 p.m. on Wednesday.

Another earthquake felt on B.C.'s south coast, third in two weeks

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity
British Columbia Premier David Eby says the government is making contingency plans to reduce the province's reliance on electricity from the United States after the start of the continental trade war. The premier said B.C. had been forced into contingency planning after Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to cut off electricity it provides three border states, resulting in concerns the U.S. could respond in kind.

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity

Three-year-old child dies in pedestrian accident in Chilliwack

Three-year-old child dies in pedestrian accident in Chilliwack
RCMP in Chilliwack say a three-year-old child has died in a "tragic motor vehicle collision." Police say the child was a pedestrian at the intersection of Vedder and Petewawa roads when he or she was hit on Wednesday. 

Three-year-old child dies in pedestrian accident in Chilliwack

Vancouver police say officer slashed while on patrol, man faces multiple charges

Vancouver police say officer slashed while on patrol, man faces multiple charges
Police in Vancouver say an officer on patrol was slashed on the leg with an "edged weapon" in the city's Downtown Eastside. A statement from the Vancouver Police Department says the officer was on foot patrol with his partner near East Hastings and Main streets just after 7 p.m. on Tuesday when he was approached from behind by a suspect and injured.

Vancouver police say officer slashed while on patrol, man faces multiple charges

Joly told Liberals she briefed Carney on Trump tariffs

Joly told Liberals she briefed Carney on Trump tariffs
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly's office confirms she has briefed Liberal leadership candidate Mark Carney on President Donald Trump’s tariffs days ahead of Sunday's leadership vote this week. Carney is the presumed front-runner for the party's leadership and could become prime minister as early as next week — which would make Trump's growing trade war with Canada his problem to sort out.

Joly told Liberals she briefed Carney on Trump tariffs