Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jul, 2025 11:18 AM
  • Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

The BC Wildfire Service says a blaze that shut down Kelowna's airport and triggered a handful of tactical evacuations has been brought under control.

Police began telling residents to get out on Sunday afternoon and later that night the Regional District of Central Okanagan ordered residents out of homes at seven addresses at risk from the Whelan Creek wildfire.

That evacuation order was being downgraded to an alert as of 6 p.m. Monday and those residents will join people living at more than 100 other addresses being told that they need to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

The airport west of the fire shut down its operations on Sunday due to the blaze, but issued an update Monday saying it had returned to regular operations, although it cautioned that passengers may experience cancellations or delays.

The wildfire service says the fire isn't projected to spread beyond its current perimeter, and it was estimated at about six hectares in size.

Mounties previously reported that the blaze had been burning uphill toward Postill Lake, northeast of Kelowna, and toward several other nearby lakes that have cabins and campsites.

It is one of about 80 blazes currently burning across B.C.

The service said in an update on Monday that a cold front was likely to bring windy conditions throughout the province on Tuesday, and combined with high temperatures and dry conditions it could "elevate the fire danger rating."

It said, however, that areas behind the cold front will see cooler temperatures and may see some rain.

The wildfire service has lifted a ban on campfires in the Fort Nelson Forest District, covering the province's northeast. Larger fires remain banned, as well as fireworks, fire lanterns and other devices.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Marissa Tiel

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs
Travel agency Flight Centre Travel Group Canada says leisure bookings to American cities dropped 40 per cent in February from the same month in 2024, while one in five customers cancelled their trips to the U.S. over the past three months.

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs

Former B.C. MLA Mike de Jong ousted from federal Conservative nomination race

Former B.C. MLA Mike de Jong ousted from federal Conservative nomination race
Former B.C. finance minister Mike de Jong says he's been told by the Conservative Party of Canada that he is no longer in the running to be a candidate for the party in the next federal election. He says he found it "mystifying" that the party won't allow him to contest the nomination in the riding of Abbotsford-South Langley after campaigning for the spot for almost a year. 

Former B.C. MLA Mike de Jong ousted from federal Conservative nomination race

'Elbows up': Canadians angry, defiant as U.S. tariffs take effect

'Elbows up': Canadians angry, defiant as U.S. tariffs take effect
In downtown Vancouver, Sandra Mori walked out of a provincial liquor store on Tuesday with B.C. wine, and raised her elbow to the sky. From coast to coast, Canadians are remaining defiant in the face of punishing U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods, promising to use their wallets to fight the trade war launched on Tuesday by President Donald Trump.

'Elbows up': Canadians angry, defiant as U.S. tariffs take effect

B.C. budget brings record deficit, billions in trade-war contingencies

B.C. budget brings record deficit, billions in trade-war contingencies
British Columbia’s finance minister is forecasting another record deficit in a budget she says defends the province from an unfolding North American trade war that risks tens of thousands of jobs and tens of billions in economic losses for B.C. Brenda Bailey says “the impact will be severe” but it’s not the time to retreat by cutting spending on public services.

B.C. budget brings record deficit, billions in trade-war contingencies

Gang-related homicide investigators deployed to Surrey after shooting

Gang-related homicide investigators deployed to Surrey after shooting
British Columbia's Homicide Investigation Team has been deployed to Surrey after a fatal "targeted, brazen shooting" earlier this week. Police say officers with the Surrey Police Service responded to reports of a shooting near the 7900 block of 120 Street around 5:25 p.m. Monday and found the driver of a vehicle suffering from life-threatening injuries.

Gang-related homicide investigators deployed to Surrey after shooting

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released
British Columbia Premier David Eby interrupted the budget lockup today to outline some of the plans his government has to counter U.S. tariffs that threaten to upend the economy. Eby says his government will make sure that there is support in place for B.C. businesses to pivot to global and domestic markets. 

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released