Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jul, 2025 11:18 AM
  • Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

The BC Wildfire Service says a blaze that shut down Kelowna's airport and triggered a handful of tactical evacuations has been brought under control.

Police began telling residents to get out on Sunday afternoon and later that night the Regional District of Central Okanagan ordered residents out of homes at seven addresses at risk from the Whelan Creek wildfire.

That evacuation order was being downgraded to an alert as of 6 p.m. Monday and those residents will join people living at more than 100 other addresses being told that they need to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

The airport west of the fire shut down its operations on Sunday due to the blaze, but issued an update Monday saying it had returned to regular operations, although it cautioned that passengers may experience cancellations or delays.

The wildfire service says the fire isn't projected to spread beyond its current perimeter, and it was estimated at about six hectares in size.

Mounties previously reported that the blaze had been burning uphill toward Postill Lake, northeast of Kelowna, and toward several other nearby lakes that have cabins and campsites.

It is one of about 80 blazes currently burning across B.C.

The service said in an update on Monday that a cold front was likely to bring windy conditions throughout the province on Tuesday, and combined with high temperatures and dry conditions it could "elevate the fire danger rating."

It said, however, that areas behind the cold front will see cooler temperatures and may see some rain.

The wildfire service has lifted a ban on campfires in the Fort Nelson Forest District, covering the province's northeast. Larger fires remain banned, as well as fireworks, fire lanterns and other devices.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Marissa Tiel

MORE National ARTICLES

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs
British Columbia Premier David Eby says the province and the country is strong enough to weather the storm in the threat to Canada's sovereignty coming from a former friend. Eby took the unusual step of interrupting B.C.'s budget lockup to address how the province will respond after U.S. President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on Canadian goods.

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister
Brenda Bailey's budget is being handed down on the same day that Trump says a 25 per cent U.S. tariff will be placed on Canadian goods, while Canadian energy will face 10 per cent tariffs. Bailey says Trump's tariffs came "completely out of nowhere" when he announced them last November and they've already changed B.C.'s financial circumstances.

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says Canada needs to retaliate against American tariffs by targeting U.S. goods Canada can make, does not need or can obtain elsewhere. Poilievre says Canada needs to cut taxes to counteract the domestic impact of tariffs and points to the carbon price, the capital gains tax and income tax.

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect
Canadians say they are ready to use their wallets to fight the trade war with the United States, which began today as President Donald Trump imposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods. Haligonians interviewed today said they are focused on buying Canadian whenever possible, and many said they had already stopped purchasing American products, as Trump had been threatening tariffs for months.

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect

How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs

How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs
Canada is immediately imposing 25 per cent retaliatory tariffs on $30 billion worth of American products, and will expand that to cover another $125 billion in U.S. goods in 21 days. Here’s how political, business and union leaders reacted Tuesday.

How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs

The trade war is on between Canada and the U.S. Here's what you need to know

The trade war is on between Canada and the U.S. Here's what you need to know
A trade war between Canada and its largest trading partner has begun, with tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump now in effect and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau responding with a package of retaliatory tariffs. Stocks are tumbling, businesses are warning of impending layoffs and further measures from both countries are likely in the coming days.

The trade war is on between Canada and the U.S. Here's what you need to know