Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jul, 2025 11:18 AM
  • Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

The BC Wildfire Service says a blaze that shut down Kelowna's airport and triggered a handful of tactical evacuations has been brought under control.

Police began telling residents to get out on Sunday afternoon and later that night the Regional District of Central Okanagan ordered residents out of homes at seven addresses at risk from the Whelan Creek wildfire.

That evacuation order was being downgraded to an alert as of 6 p.m. Monday and those residents will join people living at more than 100 other addresses being told that they need to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

The airport west of the fire shut down its operations on Sunday due to the blaze, but issued an update Monday saying it had returned to regular operations, although it cautioned that passengers may experience cancellations or delays.

The wildfire service says the fire isn't projected to spread beyond its current perimeter, and it was estimated at about six hectares in size.

Mounties previously reported that the blaze had been burning uphill toward Postill Lake, northeast of Kelowna, and toward several other nearby lakes that have cabins and campsites.

It is one of about 80 blazes currently burning across B.C.

The service said in an update on Monday that a cold front was likely to bring windy conditions throughout the province on Tuesday, and combined with high temperatures and dry conditions it could "elevate the fire danger rating."

It said, however, that areas behind the cold front will see cooler temperatures and may see some rain.

The wildfire service has lifted a ban on campfires in the Fort Nelson Forest District, covering the province's northeast. Larger fires remain banned, as well as fireworks, fire lanterns and other devices.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Marissa Tiel

MORE National ARTICLES

Trump, tariffs overtake inflation as top concern for Canadians in new poll

Trump, tariffs overtake inflation as top concern for Canadians in new poll
A new poll suggests the trade war with the United States is now the biggest source of political concern for Canadians, knocking inflation out of the top spot. Leger says 28 per cent of Canadians believe dealing with President Donald Trump's tariffs and U.S. aggression is the most important challenge facing Canada today.

Trump, tariffs overtake inflation as top concern for Canadians in new poll

What people have to say about B.C.'s budget as the U.S. applies tariffs

What people have to say about B.C.'s budget as the U.S. applies tariffs
The British Columbia government released a budget Tuesday with Finance Minister Brenda Bailey saying it defends the province from an unfolding North American trade war triggered by U.S. President Donald Trump's tariffs. Here's what people are saying about the B.C. government's budget: 

What people have to say about B.C.'s budget as the U.S. applies tariffs

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville
Police say it was "miraculous" that no one was killed in a head-on collision that destroyed two vehicles near Parksville, B.C. A statement from B.C. Highway Patrol says three people, including a child, were taken to hospital after the crash Monday on Highway 19.

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs
Brenda Bailey is expected to speak today at an event hosted by the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce, her first public appearance after tabling the budget on the same day U.S. President Donald Trump imposed 25 per cent on Canadian goods.

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues
Canada's industry minister is looking to block what he calls "predatory investment behaviour" as a trade war with the United States continues. François-Philippe Champagne warned Wednesday that Canadian businesses could be at risk due to the sweeping tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump.

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico
Canada has responded with 25 per cent retaliatory tariffs on $30 billion worth of American products, and will expand them to cover another $125 billion in U.S. goods in 21 days.

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico