Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jul, 2025 11:18 AM
  • Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

The BC Wildfire Service says a blaze that shut down Kelowna's airport and triggered a handful of tactical evacuations has been brought under control.

Police began telling residents to get out on Sunday afternoon and later that night the Regional District of Central Okanagan ordered residents out of homes at seven addresses at risk from the Whelan Creek wildfire.

That evacuation order was being downgraded to an alert as of 6 p.m. Monday and those residents will join people living at more than 100 other addresses being told that they need to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

The airport west of the fire shut down its operations on Sunday due to the blaze, but issued an update Monday saying it had returned to regular operations, although it cautioned that passengers may experience cancellations or delays.

The wildfire service says the fire isn't projected to spread beyond its current perimeter, and it was estimated at about six hectares in size.

Mounties previously reported that the blaze had been burning uphill toward Postill Lake, northeast of Kelowna, and toward several other nearby lakes that have cabins and campsites.

It is one of about 80 blazes currently burning across B.C.

The service said in an update on Monday that a cold front was likely to bring windy conditions throughout the province on Tuesday, and combined with high temperatures and dry conditions it could "elevate the fire danger rating."

It said, however, that areas behind the cold front will see cooler temperatures and may see some rain.

The wildfire service has lifted a ban on campfires in the Fort Nelson Forest District, covering the province's northeast. Larger fires remain banned, as well as fireworks, fire lanterns and other devices.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Marissa Tiel

MORE National ARTICLES

Former Canadian Olympic athlete added to FBI's 10 most wanted fugitives list

Former Canadian Olympic athlete added to FBI's 10 most wanted fugitives list
Ryan James Wedding is wanted for allegedly leading an organized crime group that moved large shipments of cocaine from Colombia through Mexico and California to Canada and other locations in the United States.

Former Canadian Olympic athlete added to FBI's 10 most wanted fugitives list

Shots over the bow: Why provinces are using liquor leverage in trade war with U.S.

Shots over the bow: Why provinces are using liquor leverage in trade war with U.S.
What they all have in common is the "currently unavailable" designation, having been yanked from sale by British Columbia's government in retaliation for U.S. President Donald Trump's tariffs on Canadian imports. Calling time on U.S. alcohol has been a popular move among Canadian provincial and territorial governments looking for ways to fight back in the trade war. 

Shots over the bow: Why provinces are using liquor leverage in trade war with U.S.

Trudeau aiming to secure extension to 2031 for signature $10-a-day child-care program

Trudeau aiming to secure extension to 2031 for signature $10-a-day child-care program
The federal government is trying to secure extensions through to 2031 for its national $10-a-day child-care program ahead of an expected election. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced today that 11 provinces and territories have agreed to extend the deals that give those jurisdictions billions of dollars to cut child-care fees for families.

Trudeau aiming to secure extension to 2031 for signature $10-a-day child-care program

Truckers scramble for new routes as tariffs bring shipments to a halt

Truckers scramble for new routes as tariffs bring shipments to a halt
Trucking companies are halting shipments, mulling layoffs and scrambling for new routes as tariffs wreak havoc on cross-border trade. The lead-up to U.S. President Donald Trump's sweeping 25 per cent tariff on Canadian imports as well as retaliatory duties from Canada that took effect Tuesday prompted a surge in deliveries over the past two months as shippers raced to beat the deadline.

Truckers scramble for new routes as tariffs bring shipments to a halt

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico
U.S. President Donald Trump has imposed tariffs on imports from Canada and Mexico — a 25 per cent across-the-board levy, with a lower 10 per cent charge on Canadian energy — triggering a continental trade war. Here is the latest news (all times eastern):

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Trump announces one-month pause on Mexican tariffs, no move on Canada

Trump announces one-month pause on Mexican tariffs, no move on Canada
U.S. President Donald Trump says Mexico will get a one-month pause on tariffs for imports under the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement on trade. In a social media post, Trump says he made the decision after speaking with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum today, adding Mexico has worked with the U.S. on border security.

Trump announces one-month pause on Mexican tariffs, no move on Canada