Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Nov, 2024 11:48 AM
  • First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

The Xatśull First Nation says it is "disappointed" that British Columbia's Mines Ministry has granted an operating permit for the Cariboo Gold Mine without meeting its leadership or obtaining the nation's consent.

The mine is on the nation's territory in central B.C. and it issued a statement earlier this month calling for the project to be halted until the nation had given its consent.

The B.C. government announced Thursday that Barkerville Gold Mines, owned by Osisko Development Corp., was issued the permit for the underground mine in a process that took 13 months to complete.

The ministry said it was the first project entirely assessed under the new Environmental Assessment Act, which was modernized to enhance public confidence, and was done in consultation with experts, the public and First Nations, including the Xatśull. 

But the Xatśull nation says it did not consent, which showcases "troubling inconsistencies" with how B.C. deals with First Nations and "demonstrates a lack of commitment" to adhere to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

The nation says it is considering all legal options and is calling on the newly appointed mines minister, Jagrup Brar, to "ask for clarification on the inconsistent application of UNDRIP across government, including his ministry."

"Xatśull would like to see sustainable resource development in our territory, but it has to be done properly," it says in a news release. 

"The government must honour its commitments and truly collaborate with Xatśull in a respectful and inclusive manner and in alignment with UNDRIP. That means immediately moving to consent-based decision-making with Xatśull in relation to major permits and authorization for mines in our territory."

MORE National ARTICLES

Stabbing at a bus shelter

Stabbing at a bus shelter
Mounties in North Vancouver say they are investigating a stabbing that happened in a bus shelter early yesterday morning.  They say officers and paramedics responded and found the victim near the Petro Canada gas station on the north side of Marine Drive. 

Stabbing at a bus shelter

B.C. Interior wildfires show increased activity, triggering evacuation alert

B.C. Interior wildfires show increased activity, triggering evacuation alert
A growing cluster of out-of-control wildfires in the British Columbia Interior has forced officials to place residents in the area under an evacuation alert. The Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako says people in a remote area about 80 kilometres south of Burns Lake, B.C., should be prepared to leave on short notice.

B.C. Interior wildfires show increased activity, triggering evacuation alert

Recent immigrants shut out of strong wage growth as unemployment rises in Canada

Recent immigrants shut out of strong wage growth as unemployment rises in Canada
Canada's unemployment rate continued to trend higher in August — reaching 6.6 per cent — as the job market slowdown hits workers and job seekers unevenly. Statistics Canada’s labour force survey on Friday showed the economy added a modest 22,000 jobs last month, lagging the pace of population growth.

Recent immigrants shut out of strong wage growth as unemployment rises in Canada

Witnesses sought in hit and run

Witnesses sought in hit and run
Police are looking for witnesses after investigators determined that a man found dead off the Coquihalla Highway last month was the victim of a hit-and-run. The B-C Highway Patrol say the man was found just off the roadway near a highway exit in Merritt on August 30th.

Witnesses sought in hit and run

First degree murder charge in Restaurant shooting

First degree murder charge in Restaurant shooting
A man has been convicted of first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of another man at a Richmond sushi restaurant.  Jian Jun Zhu was killed in the September 2020 shooting at Manzo restaurant where another victim was also shot but survived.

First degree murder charge in Restaurant shooting

2 men charged with assault in stabbing

2 men charged with assault in stabbing
Police in New Westminster have charged two men with assault in a stabbing described as an "unprovoked attack by a stranger." Police say officers were flagged down on the night of July 30th to assist someone suffering from a stab wound in the abdomen.

2 men charged with assault in stabbing