Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Nov, 2024 11:48 AM
  • First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

The Xatśull First Nation says it is "disappointed" that British Columbia's Mines Ministry has granted an operating permit for the Cariboo Gold Mine without meeting its leadership or obtaining the nation's consent.

The mine is on the nation's territory in central B.C. and it issued a statement earlier this month calling for the project to be halted until the nation had given its consent.

The B.C. government announced Thursday that Barkerville Gold Mines, owned by Osisko Development Corp., was issued the permit for the underground mine in a process that took 13 months to complete.

The ministry said it was the first project entirely assessed under the new Environmental Assessment Act, which was modernized to enhance public confidence, and was done in consultation with experts, the public and First Nations, including the Xatśull. 

But the Xatśull nation says it did not consent, which showcases "troubling inconsistencies" with how B.C. deals with First Nations and "demonstrates a lack of commitment" to adhere to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

The nation says it is considering all legal options and is calling on the newly appointed mines minister, Jagrup Brar, to "ask for clarification on the inconsistent application of UNDRIP across government, including his ministry."

"Xatśull would like to see sustainable resource development in our territory, but it has to be done properly," it says in a news release. 

"The government must honour its commitments and truly collaborate with Xatśull in a respectful and inclusive manner and in alignment with UNDRIP. That means immediately moving to consent-based decision-making with Xatśull in relation to major permits and authorization for mines in our territory."

MORE National ARTICLES

Puppy theft in Kelowna

Puppy theft in Kelowna
Police in Kelowna are on the lookout after an identified suspect grabbed a puppy out walking with its owner and fled. Kelowna R-C-M-P say the theft happened on the night of August 31st, when a "middle-aged, bald Caucasian male" in a grey vehicle pulled up next to the owner and the puppy walking on Royal Pine Drive.

Puppy theft in Kelowna

Canadian researchers find signs of awareness in comatose patient, study says

Canadian researchers find signs of awareness in comatose patient, study says
A neuroimaging technique called functional near infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) was used to shine light waves into three patients' brains to find activity in response to different commands, said a study published recently in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) journal.

Canadian researchers find signs of awareness in comatose patient, study says

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August
Home sales in Greater Vancouver fell 17.1 per cent in August from the same period last year, according to the latest statistics. Greater Vancouver Realtors says there were a total of 19-hundred-and-four homes sold in the region last month, down from almost 23-hundred last year.

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief
Chief Constable Adam Palmer says the suspect, a 34-year-old White Rock man, appears to be "very troubled" and police are looking into whether mental health was a factor in this morning's "horrific" attacks. He says the man, who had a history of assaulting police and social workers, was tracked down with the help of a drone and arrested at Habitat Island, near the Olympic Village.

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events
Parkland Corp. has released a review into an unplanned shutdown of its Burnaby, B.C., refinery in January that blanketed parts of Metro Vancouver with a foul stench. The review released last week says unusually cold weather triggered a series of events leading to the release of a noxious odour that generated more than 100 complaints from residents.

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events

Man sentenced in child pornography

Man sentenced in child pornography
A New Westminster man has been sentenced to 10 months in jail after pleading guilty to possession child pornography. Police say 51-year-old Scott Harrison was originally arrested in April 2020 after officers begun investigating a case of child porn being uploaded onto the Internet.

Man sentenced in child pornography