Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Oct, 2025 09:24 AM
  • Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he doesn't believe U.S. President Donald Trump will follow through on his threat to hit Canada with an additional 10 per cent tariff over Ontario's anti-tariff ad campaign.

Speaking in the provincial legislature this morning, Ford said he's confident tariffs "aren't going to go up" and other premiers are on board with his approach.

Ford also claimed the campaign was the "most successful ad in the history of North America."

Trump said he suspended trade talks with Canada and plans to impose 10 per cent tariffs in retaliation for Ontario's ad, which ran in major U.S. television markets.

The ad features former U.S. president Ronald Reagan warning that tariffs lead to trade wars and damage economies in the long run.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Ottawa and Washington were close to a deal on steel, aluminum and energy when Trump suddenly cut off trade talks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

MORE National ARTICLES

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released
British Columbia Premier David Eby interrupted the budget lockup today to outline some of the plans his government has to counter U.S. tariffs that threaten to upend the economy. Eby says his government will make sure that there is support in place for B.C. businesses to pivot to global and domestic markets. 

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs
British Columbia Premier David Eby says the province and the country is strong enough to weather the storm in the threat to Canada's sovereignty coming from a former friend. Eby took the unusual step of interrupting B.C.'s budget lockup to address how the province will respond after U.S. President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on Canadian goods.

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister
Brenda Bailey's budget is being handed down on the same day that Trump says a 25 per cent U.S. tariff will be placed on Canadian goods, while Canadian energy will face 10 per cent tariffs. Bailey says Trump's tariffs came "completely out of nowhere" when he announced them last November and they've already changed B.C.'s financial circumstances.

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says Canada needs to retaliate against American tariffs by targeting U.S. goods Canada can make, does not need or can obtain elsewhere. Poilievre says Canada needs to cut taxes to counteract the domestic impact of tariffs and points to the carbon price, the capital gains tax and income tax.

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect
Canadians say they are ready to use their wallets to fight the trade war with the United States, which began today as President Donald Trump imposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods. Haligonians interviewed today said they are focused on buying Canadian whenever possible, and many said they had already stopped purchasing American products, as Trump had been threatening tariffs for months.

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect

How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs

How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs
Canada is immediately imposing 25 per cent retaliatory tariffs on $30 billion worth of American products, and will expand that to cover another $125 billion in U.S. goods in 21 days. Here’s how political, business and union leaders reacted Tuesday.

How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs