Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Oct, 2025 09:24 AM
  • Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he doesn't believe U.S. President Donald Trump will follow through on his threat to hit Canada with an additional 10 per cent tariff over Ontario's anti-tariff ad campaign.

Speaking in the provincial legislature this morning, Ford said he's confident tariffs "aren't going to go up" and other premiers are on board with his approach.

Ford also claimed the campaign was the "most successful ad in the history of North America."

Trump said he suspended trade talks with Canada and plans to impose 10 per cent tariffs in retaliation for Ontario's ad, which ran in major U.S. television markets.

The ad features former U.S. president Ronald Reagan warning that tariffs lead to trade wars and damage economies in the long run.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Ottawa and Washington were close to a deal on steel, aluminum and energy when Trump suddenly cut off trade talks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

MORE National ARTICLES

Talk of changing Vancouver's supportive housing policy has organizations on edge

Talk of changing Vancouver's supportive housing policy has organizations on edge
Mayor Ken Sim announced last month that he would be putting forward a proposal to pause construction of net new supportive housing units in Vancouver, arguing that the city needs to focus on updating its current stock, while supply in other parts of the region increases.

Talk of changing Vancouver's supportive housing policy has organizations on edge

Police ask for help in probe of B.C. woman's death in fall from a truck

Police ask for help in probe of B.C. woman's death in fall from a truck
The RCMP's major crime unit is asking for the public's help in investigating the death of a woman almost a month ago in Trial. Police say 38-year-old Laura Morrison was the front passenger in a 2023 white Ford F-150 late on Jan. 9 when she reportedly fell from the moving vehicle. 

Police ask for help in probe of B.C. woman's death in fall from a truck

Donations flowed to BC United long after it suspended election campaign

Donations flowed to BC United long after it suspended election campaign
Political financing reports show that the collapsed BC United party collected more than $223,000 in donations after it suspended campaigning in last year's provincial election, including tens of thousands received after the Oct. 19 vote.  Financial reports filed with Elections BC show almost all of the donations appear to be automatic bank transfers, occurring on the 20th of each month. 

Donations flowed to BC United long after it suspended election campaign

Environment Canada cautions of frostbite as frigid temperatures linger in B.C.

Environment Canada cautions of frostbite as frigid temperatures linger in B.C.
Environment Canada is warning that frostbite and hypothermia that can occur within minutes as frigid conditions linger over much of British Columbia.  Extreme cold and arctic outflow warnings are in place for much of the interior as well as the north and central coasts and the agency is suggesting people limit outdoor activities and ensure pets and outdoor animals are sheltered.

Environment Canada cautions of frostbite as frigid temperatures linger in B.C.

New wrongful conviction review body could see hundreds of applications

New wrongful conviction review body could see hundreds of applications
A new independent commission tasked by the federal government with reviewing miscarriages of justice could discover that more people than expected are serving prison sentences for crimes they didn’t commit. Other countries that launched similar commissions have found that "the degree of wrongful convictions certainly was much more significant than they knew," said Sen. Kim Pate, a prominent advocate for the wrongfully convicted.

New wrongful conviction review body could see hundreds of applications

'A madness in the air.' Trump's threats unleash patriotic wave among Canadians

'A madness in the air.' Trump's threats unleash patriotic wave among Canadians
McGill University undergrad Daniel Miksha made a significant decision over the weekend. After hearing the news that U.S. President Donald Trump planned to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian exports, Miksha shelved his plans to apply to Boston University, Yale and Harvard for graduate studies.

'A madness in the air.' Trump's threats unleash patriotic wave among Canadians