Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Oct, 2025 09:24 AM
  • Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he doesn't believe U.S. President Donald Trump will follow through on his threat to hit Canada with an additional 10 per cent tariff over Ontario's anti-tariff ad campaign.

Speaking in the provincial legislature this morning, Ford said he's confident tariffs "aren't going to go up" and other premiers are on board with his approach.

Ford also claimed the campaign was the "most successful ad in the history of North America."

Trump said he suspended trade talks with Canada and plans to impose 10 per cent tariffs in retaliation for Ontario's ad, which ran in major U.S. television markets.

The ad features former U.S. president Ronald Reagan warning that tariffs lead to trade wars and damage economies in the long run.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Ottawa and Washington were close to a deal on steel, aluminum and energy when Trump suddenly cut off trade talks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

MORE National ARTICLES

Booing of U.S. anthem continues at Canadian sporting events despite tariff pause

Booing of U.S. anthem continues at Canadian sporting events despite tariff pause
Canadian sports fans continued to voice their displeasure at American economic policies on Tuesday despite a pause in a trade war between Canada and the United States. Fans at Toronto's Scotiabank Arena booed during the U.S. national anthem before the Raptors hosted the New York Knicks on Tuesday.

Booing of U.S. anthem continues at Canadian sporting events despite tariff pause

B.C. fast-tracking 18 mining and energy projects in face of U.S. tariff threat

B.C. fast-tracking 18 mining and energy projects in face of U.S. tariff threat
The British Columbia government has released a list of 18 critical mineral and energy projects worth roughly $20 billion that it said it's working to accelerate in the face of ongoing tariff threats from the United States. The list contains mining projects that have received pushback from some B.C. and Alaskan First Nations groups, including Eskay Creek, Highland Valley and Red Chris mines.

B.C. fast-tracking 18 mining and energy projects in face of U.S. tariff threat

Fraudsters try a new method to steal bank cards in Langley

Fraudsters try a new method to steal bank cards in Langley
Langley R-C-M-P are warning the public about a new attempt to steal bank cards by fraudsters. The scheme includes calling the victim first to warn them someone is trying to tamper with or compromise their card, then arriving at the victim's house to "collect" the tainted card.

Fraudsters try a new method to steal bank cards in Langley

Edmonton city council votes to restrict the sale of knives in convenience stores

Edmonton city council votes to restrict the sale of knives in convenience stores
City council has passed a bylaw that restricts the sale of knives in Edmonton convenience stores. Mayor Amarjeet Sohi says convenient and quick access to knives makes the community less safe.

Edmonton city council votes to restrict the sale of knives in convenience stores

4 found dead on a First Nation home

4 found dead on a First Nation home
Police say four people have been found dead in a home on the Carry the Kettle Nakoda Nation in southern Saskatchewan. RCMP say officers with the File Hills Police Service were called to the home, where they found the bodies.

4 found dead on a First Nation home

Uptick in Vancouver home sales

Uptick in Vancouver home sales
Greater Vancouver home sales went up again last month, but the region’s real estate board says more people were trying to sell than buy. Andrew Lis with Greater Vancouver Realtors says momentum is starting to shift from buyer demand to sellers, helping to keep the market balanced and limit price fluctuations.

Uptick in Vancouver home sales