Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Oct, 2025 09:24 AM
  • Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he doesn't believe U.S. President Donald Trump will follow through on his threat to hit Canada with an additional 10 per cent tariff over Ontario's anti-tariff ad campaign.

Speaking in the provincial legislature this morning, Ford said he's confident tariffs "aren't going to go up" and other premiers are on board with his approach.

Ford also claimed the campaign was the "most successful ad in the history of North America."

Trump said he suspended trade talks with Canada and plans to impose 10 per cent tariffs in retaliation for Ontario's ad, which ran in major U.S. television markets.

The ad features former U.S. president Ronald Reagan warning that tariffs lead to trade wars and damage economies in the long run.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Ottawa and Washington were close to a deal on steel, aluminum and energy when Trump suddenly cut off trade talks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

MORE National ARTICLES

No Canadian soldiers assigned to border enforcement, minister says

No Canadian soldiers assigned to border enforcement, minister says
Public Safety Minister David McGuinty says there is no plan to send Canadian soldiers to the Canada-U.S. border. In a bid to head off crippling tariffs threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump, Canada has committed to tasking 10,000 frontline personnel with protecting the border.

No Canadian soldiers assigned to border enforcement, minister says

Gang leader and another man charged after shooting in Fort Nelson, B.C.

Gang leader and another man charged after shooting in Fort Nelson, B.C.
A man well known to police and identified in the courts as a gang leader faces charges in connection with a shooting in Fort Nelson, B.C.  Police say Jarrod Bacon has been charged with aggravated assault, while John Chasse faces an assault charge in connection with the shooting that sent one person to hospital last Wednesday.

Gang leader and another man charged after shooting in Fort Nelson, B.C.

B.C. human rights commissioner wants study of police in schools after board's firing

B.C. human rights commissioner wants study of police in schools after board's firing
British Columbia's human rights commissioner says the provincial government has effectively made police liaison programs mandatory in schools with its firing of the Greater Victoria school board, while failing to provide a factual basis for the decision. Kasari Govender says in a letter to Education Minister Lisa Beare and Public Safety Minister Gary Begg that failure to fund research into the matter is contrary to the government's human rights obligations "and undermines its stated values to combat racism."

B.C. human rights commissioner wants study of police in schools after board's firing

Man injured in avalanche on Vancouver Island, taken by rescue helicopter to hospital

Man injured in avalanche on Vancouver Island, taken by rescue helicopter to hospital
A man has been seriously injured in an avalanche on Vancouver Island and required the rescue helicopter to fly him directly to hospital for treatment. Metro Vancouver-based North Shore Rescue says in a social media post that the man was partially buried in a slide in the backcountry near the Mount Cain ski area on northern Vancouver Island on Sunday. 

Man injured in avalanche on Vancouver Island, taken by rescue helicopter to hospital

Drug deaths in B.C. drop 13 per cent, hitting four-year low of 2,253

Drug deaths in B.C. drop 13 per cent, hitting four-year low of 2,253
The BC Coroners Service says toxic drug deaths in British Columbia were down 13 per cent last year, with the toll now lower than any year since 2020. Chief Coroner Dr. Jatinder Baidwan says the decline is consistent with elsewhere in Canada and internationally, but doesn't mitigate the fact that 2,253 people died of overdoses in B.C. last year, or the grief felt by their loved ones.

Drug deaths in B.C. drop 13 per cent, hitting four-year low of 2,253

Metro Vancouver to stay cold for at least a week with wintry road conditions

Metro Vancouver to stay cold for at least a week with wintry road conditions
This week's wintry blast of snow in Metro Vancouver will likely remain on the ground, with below-average temperatures forecasted well into next week. Environment Canada meteorologist Alyssa Charbonneau says while temperatures may moderate slightly during the daytime over the weekend, whatever's melted will likely refreeze at night.

Metro Vancouver to stay cold for at least a week with wintry road conditions