Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former defence chief to go on trial in May 2023

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Oct, 2021 10:17 AM
  • Former defence chief to go on trial in May 2023

OTTAWA - Former chief of the defence staff Jonathan Vance's obstruction of justice case will go to trial in May 2023.

Ten days of trial dates were set during a brief, virtual courtroom hearing this morning, three months after military police charged the former Canadian Armed Forces commander following a sexual misconduct investigation.

The case is proceeding through the civilian court system after investigators referred it there, citing what they described as "the limitations of the military justice system" in trying Canada's top military officer.

The former defence chief, who retired from the Canadian Armed Forces in April, has previously denied any wrongdoing.

The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service alleged in court documents that Vance repeatedly contacted a woman identified as "K.B." in early February and "tried to persuade her to make false statements about their past relationship" to military investigators.

Maj. Kellie Brennan told a parliamentary committee in April that she and Vance had an inappropriate relationship that started in 2001 and continued after he became chief of the defence staff in 2015.

Brennan also told the committee she had recorded Vance telling her on the phone what to tell military police, and had turned those recordings over to the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD warns public of string of gropings in Champlain Heights

VPD warns public of string of gropings in Champlain Heights
Between April 9 and August 1, the incidents occurred just off Kerr Street between 51st and 55th avenues between 3 and 9 p.m. Reports of the suspect’s age range between 17 to 30 years old. In all cases, the suspect is wearing sweatpants and a hooded sweater.

VPD warns public of string of gropings in Champlain Heights

Vancouver man dies after assault at Grandview Park, marking city's 12th homicide: VPD

Vancouver man dies after assault at Grandview Park, marking city's 12th homicide: VPD
Vancouver resident Gilles Hebert, 60, was allegedly assaulted by another person, rendering him unconscious. He was taken to hospital where he died from his injuries.

Vancouver man dies after assault at Grandview Park, marking city's 12th homicide: VPD

Federal Government Announces Surrey Headquarters for New Regional Development Agency for BC

Federal Government Announces Surrey Headquarters for New Regional Development Agency for BC
Pacific Economic Development Canada (PacifiCan) will be the new federal regional economic development agency for British Columbia, providing $553.1 million over five years, starting in 2021-22, and $110.6 million ongoing. 

Federal Government Announces Surrey Headquarters for New Regional Development Agency for BC

Economy added 94,000 jobs in July: StatCan

Economy added 94,000 jobs in July: StatCan
The federal agency said Friday that the job gains caused the unemployment rate to fall to its lowest level since March of this year, at 7.5 per cent for July compared with 7.8 per cent in June.

Economy added 94,000 jobs in July: StatCan

Job action fuels long lines at Canada-U.S. border

Job action fuels long lines at Canada-U.S. border
Guards who work for the Canada Border Services Agency were following procedures to the letter, part of a job action that began early Friday amid contract talks between the federal government and the Public Service Alliance of Canada's Customs and Immigration Union.

Job action fuels long lines at Canada-U.S. border

Privacy watchdog investigating federal Liberals

Privacy watchdog investigating federal Liberals
B.C. information and privacy commissioner Michael McEvoy's office confirmed the investigation today following a complaint from the Canadian Civil Liberties Association.

Privacy watchdog investigating federal Liberals