Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former defence chief to go on trial in May 2023

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Oct, 2021 10:17 AM
  • Former defence chief to go on trial in May 2023

OTTAWA - Former chief of the defence staff Jonathan Vance's obstruction of justice case will go to trial in May 2023.

Ten days of trial dates were set during a brief, virtual courtroom hearing this morning, three months after military police charged the former Canadian Armed Forces commander following a sexual misconduct investigation.

The case is proceeding through the civilian court system after investigators referred it there, citing what they described as "the limitations of the military justice system" in trying Canada's top military officer.

The former defence chief, who retired from the Canadian Armed Forces in April, has previously denied any wrongdoing.

The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service alleged in court documents that Vance repeatedly contacted a woman identified as "K.B." in early February and "tried to persuade her to make false statements about their past relationship" to military investigators.

Maj. Kellie Brennan told a parliamentary committee in April that she and Vance had an inappropriate relationship that started in 2001 and continued after he became chief of the defence staff in 2015.

Brennan also told the committee she had recorded Vance telling her on the phone what to tell military police, and had turned those recordings over to the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Homes lost to wildfire east of Kamloops, B.C.

Homes lost to wildfire east of Kamloops, B.C.
Hundreds of properties in communities east and west of Monte Lake were already under evacuation order, but further evacuation orders had been issued by Friday morning.

Homes lost to wildfire east of Kamloops, B.C.

U.S. acted honourably says Canada attorney general

U.S. acted honourably says Canada attorney general
Monika Rahman told a British Columbia Supreme Court that the United States has a "very high" standard on what evidence to give in making its case for extradition and the lack of evidence doesn't justify a stay of proceedings.

U.S. acted honourably says Canada attorney general

White Rock Lake fire jumps Highway 97

White Rock Lake fire jumps Highway 97
Fire information officer Hannah Swift says the BC Wildfire Service doesn't have an update on the perimeter of the fire, last measured at 325-square kilometres, because crews are focused on suppressing the blaze and helping people get out of the area.

White Rock Lake fire jumps Highway 97

Voting in federal election can be done safely: Tam

Voting in federal election can be done safely: Tam
Dr. Theresa Tam says safety protocols can be put in place to minimize the risk of voting in person, as has been done in recent provincial elections.    

Voting in federal election can be done safely: Tam

402 COVID19 cases for Thursday

402 COVID19 cases for Thursday
81.7% (3,785,216) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 68.4% (3,172,287) have received their second dose.

402 COVID19 cases for Thursday

Most B.C. COVID cases are in 20- to 40-year-olds with one or fewer doses: top doctor

Most B.C. COVID cases are in 20- to 40-year-olds with one or fewer doses: top doctor
British Columbia's top doctor says the surge in COVID-19 cases is fuelled by those between the ages of 20 and 40 who are unvaccinated or have only had one dose.

Most B.C. COVID cases are in 20- to 40-year-olds with one or fewer doses: top doctor