Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    'We lost a lifetime of hope' Lin's father says after Magnotta convicted of murder

    'We lost a lifetime of hope' Lin's father says after Magnotta convicted of murder
    The prosecution described Jun Lin as the perfect victim, a man without local family or friends to take notice when he walked into Luka Rocco Magnotta's apartment never to walk out again.

    'We lost a lifetime of hope' Lin's father says after Magnotta convicted of murder

    Man facing terrorism-related charge called 'lone wolf' and denied bail

    Man facing terrorism-related charge called 'lone wolf' and denied bail
    MONTREAL — A judge denied bail on Tuesday to a man facing a terrorism-related charge, calling him a "lone wolf" and a "danger to society."

    Man facing terrorism-related charge called 'lone wolf' and denied bail

    Some numbers from Luka Rocco Magnotta's first-degree murder trial

    Some numbers from Luka Rocco Magnotta's first-degree murder trial
    MONTREAL — Luka Rocco Magnotta was found guilty on Tuesday of first-degree murder and four other charges in the killing and dismemberment of Jun Lin in May 2012. Here are some numbers from the proceedings:

    Some numbers from Luka Rocco Magnotta's first-degree murder trial

    Timeline of events in case of accused killer Luka Rocco Magnotta

    Timeline of events in case of accused killer Luka Rocco Magnotta
    MONTREAL — Luka Rocco Magnotta was found guilty on Tuesday of first-degree murder and four other charges in the killing and dismemberment of Jun Lin in May 2012. Here is a timeline of events in the case:

    Timeline of events in case of accused killer Luka Rocco Magnotta

    Suspect in the murder of Alberta seniors, Travis Vader, granted bail

    Suspect in the murder of Alberta seniors, Travis Vader, granted bail
    EDMONTON — A lawyer for a suspect in a case involving two Alberta seniors who vanished four years ago is planning to challenge the reactivation of old murder charges.

    Suspect in the murder of Alberta seniors, Travis Vader, granted bail

    RCMP arrest veteran Mountie in Manitoba on 13 drug and weapons charges

    RCMP arrest veteran Mountie in Manitoba on 13 drug and weapons charges
    WINNIPEG — The RCMP says its serious and organized crime unit has arrested a veteran Mountie in Manitoba on 13 drug and weapons charges.

    RCMP arrest veteran Mountie in Manitoba on 13 drug and weapons charges