Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Avian Flu Spreads To First Non-commercial Backyard Coop In Langley

    Avian Flu Spreads To First Non-commercial Backyard Coop In Langley
    VANCOUVER — The avian flu outbreak that has resulted in the deaths of thousands of birds in British Columbia's Fraser Valley has struck its first backyard coop.

    Avian Flu Spreads To First Non-commercial Backyard Coop In Langley

    Canada's Q4 could be brighter than forecast, but clouds over 2015: economists

    Canada's Q4 could be brighter than forecast, but clouds over 2015: economists
    OTTAWA — Canada's gross domestic product rose by an unexpectedly strong 0.3 per cent in October, which led several economists to consider revising their estimates for the final quarter of 2014 — although they also warned that they're less bullish about 2015 due to a drop in commodity prices, especially for oil.

    Canada's Q4 could be brighter than forecast, but clouds over 2015: economists

    Manning sorry for not encouraging consultation before Wildrose defections

    Manning sorry for not encouraging consultation before Wildrose defections
    EDMONTON — The former leader of the Reform Party says he made a mistake when he encouraged members of Alberta's Wildrose to unite with the governing Progressive Conservatives.

    Manning sorry for not encouraging consultation before Wildrose defections

    Fear of falsification prevents release of some electronic data: minister

    Fear of falsification prevents release of some electronic data: minister
    OTTAWA — The Conservative cabinet minister responsible for freedom of information says some federal data cannot be released to the public in electronic format because people might alter it and spread falsehoods.

    Fear of falsification prevents release of some electronic data: minister

    Co-owners of seniors' home drop lawsuit against Quebec town over fatal blaze

    Co-owners of seniors' home drop lawsuit against Quebec town over fatal blaze
    L'ISLE-VERTE, Que. — The Quebec town of L'Isle-Verte says the co-owners of a seniors' home where 32 people died in a blaze last January have dropped a lawsuit against the municipality.

    Co-owners of seniors' home drop lawsuit against Quebec town over fatal blaze

    Canadian teacher jailed in Indonesia devastated over outcome of related trial

    Canadian teacher jailed in Indonesia devastated over outcome of related trial
    JAKARTA, Indonesia — A Canadian teacher accused of sexually abusing three students at an international school in Indonesia found it "devastating" that five janitors also accused in the case were sentenced to up to eight years in prison, his family said Monday.

    Canadian teacher jailed in Indonesia devastated over outcome of related trial