Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Jurors in Magnotta trial begin seventh day of deliberations

    Jurors in Magnotta trial begin seventh day of deliberations
    MONTREAL — Jurors deciding the fate of Luka Rocco Magnotta have begun their seventh day of deliberations.

    Jurors in Magnotta trial begin seventh day of deliberations

    Trudeau promises he'd be accessible PM, unmuzzle bureaucrats, ministers

    Trudeau promises he'd be accessible PM, unmuzzle bureaucrats, ministers
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau is promising to scrap Stephen Harper's brand of message discipline if he becomes prime minister, giving more freedom to bureaucrats, ditching the scripts for cabinet ministers and making them and himself more accessible to journalists.

    Trudeau promises he'd be accessible PM, unmuzzle bureaucrats, ministers

    White Christmas doubtful for many in more populated parts of Canada: Forecast

    White Christmas doubtful for many in more populated parts of Canada: Forecast
    TORONTO — The Weather Network says Canadians' dreams of a white Christmas likely won't come true for many of those living in the more populated parts of the country.

    White Christmas doubtful for many in more populated parts of Canada: Forecast

    Police In Delta, B.C., Pull Wristband Supporting Officer Accused Of Murder

    Police In Delta, B.C., Pull Wristband Supporting Officer Accused Of Murder
    DELTA, B.C. — A Metro Vancouver police department says it is removing online promotions for the sale of a wristband that support of an officer facing a second-degree murder charge.

    Police In Delta, B.C., Pull Wristband Supporting Officer Accused Of Murder

    Five Powerful Earthquakes Strike Off The Coast Of B.C. Over The Weekend

    Five Powerful Earthquakes Strike Off The Coast Of B.C. Over The Weekend
    A series of powerful earthquakes shook the coast of B.C. over the weekend. The federal agency that monitors earthquakes in Canada says there were five offshore quakes on Saturday and Sunday.

    Five Powerful Earthquakes Strike Off The Coast Of B.C. Over The Weekend

    TTC speeds up review of bus and streetcar operators after teen's death

    TTC speeds up review of bus and streetcar operators after teen's death
    Toronto's transit authority will be speeding up its review of bus and streetcar operators following the death of a 14-year-old girl who was killed after being hit by a city bus.

    TTC speeds up review of bus and streetcar operators after teen's death