Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Vancouver MLA Mable Elmore Seeking Ndp Nomination For Federal Riding

    Vancouver MLA Mable Elmore Seeking Ndp Nomination For Federal Riding
    VANCOUVER — A Vancouver MLA is seeking the NDP nomination for the federal riding of Vancouver East. Mable Elmore currently represents the riding of Vancouver-Kensington for the provincial New Democrats.

    Vancouver MLA Mable Elmore Seeking Ndp Nomination For Federal Riding

    Study Involving UBC Scientist Says Chinook Salmon Could Be Wiped Out By 2100

    Study Involving UBC Scientist Says Chinook Salmon Could Be Wiped Out By 2100
    VANCOUVER — New climate-change research involving a University of British Columbia scientist predicts that one of the West Coast's most prized salmon stocks could be wiped out over the next 85 years.

    Study Involving UBC Scientist Says Chinook Salmon Could Be Wiped Out By 2100

    Former Vancouver Stealth Head Coach Chris Hall Dies Of Cancer At 64

    Former Vancouver Stealth Head Coach Chris Hall Dies Of Cancer At 64
    VANCOUVER — Chris (C.H.) Hall, former head coach of the National Lacrosse League's Vancouver Stealth, has died after a four-year battle with cancer.

    Former Vancouver Stealth Head Coach Chris Hall Dies Of Cancer At 64

    Canada faces new Cold War in Europe and hot war against ISIL in Iraq in 2015

    Canada faces new Cold War in Europe and hot war against ISIL in Iraq in 2015
    OTTAWA — It could very well be that 2014 is remembered as the year when Canada traded one shadow war for possibly two others.

    Canada faces new Cold War in Europe and hot war against ISIL in Iraq in 2015

    Man arrested in Montreal on terrorism-related charge

    Man arrested in Montreal on terrorism-related charge
    MONTREAL — A Montreal man is facing a terrorism-related charge after police were tipped off by his family that he had recently become radicalized.

    Man arrested in Montreal on terrorism-related charge

    Man charged with kidnapping, attempted murder of six-year-old in Alberta

    Man charged with kidnapping, attempted murder of six-year-old in Alberta
    EDMONTON — A 21-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder, aggravated sexual assault and kidnapping in an attack on a six-year-old girl on a reserve west of Edmonton.

    Man charged with kidnapping, attempted murder of six-year-old in Alberta