Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Hamilton man to face 4th trial in the 1981 murder of a young woman

    Hamilton man to face 4th trial in the 1981 murder of a young woman
    TORONTO — An Ontario man will be tried for a fourth time in September 2016 in the murder of a nursing assistant who was killed 33 years ago in the Hamilton area.

    Hamilton man to face 4th trial in the 1981 murder of a young woman

    Canadian shot by U.S. border guards after pointing gun is charged in Windsor, Ont

    Canadian shot by U.S. border guards after pointing gun is charged in Windsor, Ont
    DETROIT — A 22-year-old Canadian man who was shot by U.S. border guards after pointing what appeared to be a gun at them is facing weapons-related charges in Windsor, Ont.

    Canadian shot by U.S. border guards after pointing gun is charged in Windsor, Ont

    Heather Forsyth named Alberta Wildrose interim leader, party hopes to rebound

    Heather Forsyth named Alberta Wildrose interim leader, party hopes to rebound
    CALGARY — Alberta's Wildrose party has named an interim leader after Danielle Smith and eight other caucus members bolted to the governing Progressive Conservatives.

    Heather Forsyth named Alberta Wildrose interim leader, party hopes to rebound

    Going to pot: As attitudes to marijuana mellow, could legalization be next?

    Going to pot: As attitudes to marijuana mellow, could legalization be next?
    TORONTO — Smoke it, toke it, vape it, eat it — marijuana, it seems, is going mainstream.

    Going to pot: As attitudes to marijuana mellow, could legalization be next?

    Vancouver Restaurant Owner Who Recorded Toilet Visits Thrilled With Secrets, Not Sexual Impulses

    Vancouver Restaurant Owner Who Recorded Toilet Visits Thrilled With Secrets, Not Sexual Impulses
    Maegan Richards asked a Vancouver provincial court judge to impose a conditional discharge for Allan Bosomworth, who was the co-owner of Two Chefs and a Table restaurant where he hid a camera in the coed washroom in December 2012.

    Vancouver Restaurant Owner Who Recorded Toilet Visits Thrilled With Secrets, Not Sexual Impulses

    Imprisoned journalist warned Al Jazeera tactics could come back to 'bite' them

    Imprisoned journalist warned Al Jazeera tactics could come back to 'bite' them
    An Egyptian-Canadian journalist who has spent the last year in a Cairo prison sounded the alarm about his network's approach to Egypt's precarious security situation months before he and his colleagues were arrested, documents obtained by The Canadian Press suggest.

    Imprisoned journalist warned Al Jazeera tactics could come back to 'bite' them