Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Minister Steve Ashton resigns, says he will seek leadership of Manitoba NDP

    Minister Steve Ashton resigns, says he will seek leadership of Manitoba NDP
    WINNIPEG — Manitoba's transportation minister says resigning from cabinet before launching a leadership campaign to become the province's next premier was the honourable thing to do.

    Minister Steve Ashton resigns, says he will seek leadership of Manitoba NDP

    Man charged in Calgary after unlocked running SUV was stolen with baby inside

    Man charged in Calgary after unlocked running SUV was stolen with baby inside
    CALGARY — A young man has been charged after an SUV was stolen in Calgary with a sleeping baby inside.

    Man charged in Calgary after unlocked running SUV was stolen with baby inside

    Ottawa posts $3.2B deficit for October, including impact of income splitting

    Ottawa posts $3.2B deficit for October, including impact of income splitting
    OTTAWA — The federal government said Monday it posted a deficit of $3.2 billion in October due in large part to its new income-splitting plan for families and the doubling of the children's fitness tax credit.

    Ottawa posts $3.2B deficit for October, including impact of income splitting

    Toronto Man Ordered To Pay $1.5 Million For Credit Card Fraud

    Toronto Man Ordered To Pay $1.5 Million For Credit Card Fraud
    FARGO, N.D.—Prosecutors described a Toronto man’s massive credit card fraud scheme as high-tech bank robbery — stealing the identities of 38,000 people in order to bilk dozens of banks.

    Toronto Man Ordered To Pay $1.5 Million For Credit Card Fraud

    Vancouver School Board Calls On Province To Restore Adult Student Funding

    Vancouver School Board Calls On Province To Restore Adult Student Funding
    VANCOUVER — The Vancouver School Board is calling on the B.C. government to reverse a decision that will abolish funding for some adult students.

    Vancouver School Board Calls On Province To Restore Adult Student Funding

    Bail Denied After Charges Re-activated In Alberta Missing Couple Case

    Bail Denied After Charges Re-activated In Alberta Missing Couple Case
    EDMONTON – Police say bail has been denied to Travis Vader after charges of first-degree murder he faced in the deaths of an Edmonton couple were re-activated.

    Bail Denied After Charges Re-activated In Alberta Missing Couple Case